19.5" MH reflectors on an 18" tank

chrisfowler99

Been thinking about moving to MH and found a deal to get a pair of Lumenarc reflectors, 250W mogul socket, 250W Reef Fanatics ballasts and bulbs (no idea what kind) for $305 shipped.

Sounds like a decent deal to me.

But I'm concerned that the reflectors might be too wide for my 75g tank. Especially if they're high off the water.

I would be building a false canopy around them...

opinions?

(and, while you're at it...any opinions on the Reef Fanatics ballast? They seem to be decent...)

It's a sale up on Reef Central. Not sure if I can link to that.

But the reflectors are these (pics from the posting):

100_0903.jpg

I think they're Luminarc IIIs.

http://www.lumenarclighting.com/p1.htm

But possibly an older model.

The ballast are this:

100_0904.jpg

Oddly, the model number, RF250EB, (which I've found in other pics) returns no results on Google or Bing.

But I have found tests with the Reef Fanatics ballasts here:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

And they seem to perform similarly to most of the others.

The bulbs and mogul sockets are unknowns...but I'm not as concerned with those.

Okay I'll play. My comment is just the obvious. I think you can do it and I think you will waste a little bit of your available light. I know CRMike recently commented he sometimes likes those little rectangular econoboxes just cuz they concentrate the light well (paraphrased) so a happy medium might be the Lumenarc minis which I believe are still 14 or 15. I do understand that's not what's for sale:) My other comment is that most of the good deals seem to get snatched up in a hurry on RC so the longer it stays there the more the rest of the country must things it's not great. That big ol magnetic ballast could be a space hog. I'm hoping it's at least a 2x250. my 2cents

Bill

Chris they will be fine, i can build the reflectors for about $40. All in all the ballast and reflectors with bases are a good deal. Go for it!!! If the reflectors arent going to work who cares, i can build you a set to the dimensions you want and use your mogul base. LMK