Juan in a Million

pbnj

It took me 11.5 years living in Austin to finally make it there. It was great! Basically, the thing to get is the Don Juan. Oh, and I have been told by many people, do NOT get the fajitas :P

Oh, and watch out for Juan, he has a mean handshake :)

It took me 11.5 years living in Austin to finally make it there. It was great! Basically, the thing to get is the Don Juan. Oh, and I have been told by many people, do NOT get the fajitas :P

Oh, and watch out for Juan, he has a mean handshake :P

Nearly 37 years and I hadn't heard of it until Man -vs- Food. :)

As above, great food, great handshake(was voted best restaurateur handshake a few years ago in the chronicle). The chicken fajitas are good as are the beef enchiladas. Avoid weekend mornings or lunch hour if you can, unless you want to wait a while. As James alluded to, it might give you the runs if you aren't used to real Tex-Mex.

Unlike above, I was a regular before the show. :);)

Same thing although I'm not a fan of man vs food thats where we saw it and tried it yesterday. Got myself the don juan taco and even shook the owners hand. I'm more of a triple D person and we follow Guy to most of his spots over Austin, San Antonio, and other places.

Don Juan tacos are amazing. I'd go there twice a week right after I got off work in the mornings. HUGE plate of breakfast taco mix. Ask for three tortillas. Two isn't near enough. Three barely cuts it. The owner is usually out meeting people at the door. Best breakfast I've ever had.

Edited by Vash

Same thing although I'm not a fan of man vs food thats where we saw it and tried it yesterday. Got myself the don juan taco and even shook the owners hand. I'm more of a triple D person and we follow Guy to most of his spots over Austin, San Antonio, and other places.

We recently went to T-Bone Tom's in Kemah, TX (south of Houston), which was featured on the DDD. The signature marinated steak was good (not really sure it was worth the price), but the Armadillo eggs were great! Deep fried jalapeno's stuffed with brisket... yum!

Took my wife and son there this morning.

My son and I had the Don Juan breakfast tacos....pretty good, but not phenomenal (although the $ value is amazing). Seemed like the whole restaurant was ordering them though.

My wife was not pleased. She got the beef fajitas and they were not very good. She absolutley loves Mesa Rosa's fajitas and was not pleased we drove 30 minutes and waited on line outside for another 15 minutes, when we could have gone down the street to Mesa Rosa.

I'd stop in again if I was ever in the area, but I won't go out of my way again.

By the way, the new record is 9 Don Juan's (someone ate 8.5).