Need help from you all 1 last time

neal90

Im am going to be moving to el paso and will be taking my tank with me. Its only a 20gal tank with 2 fish but has 20 coral and a clam in it. So what do you all think the best way to do this. Im going to keep about 4in of water in the tank to keep the sand alive. And the fish im going to put in a 5 gal bucket with some of the live rock. not sure how to move the corals and clam. Also are there any portable heaters?? I will do the drive in one day so thats one good point. Or is this just a bad idea. Or if i could would it be better to have some one hold the live stock and fedex the to me After i get the tank runing in a day or 2 after i get there??

Im am going to be moving to el paso and will be taking my tank with me. Its only a 20gal tank with 2 fish but has 20 coral and a clam in it. So what do you all think the best way to do this. Im going to keep about 4in of water in the tank to keep the sand alive. And the fish im going to put in a 5 gal bucket with some of the live rock. not sure how to move the corals and clam. Also are there any portable heaters?? I will do the drive in one day so thats one good point. Or is this just a bad idea. Or if i could would it be better to have some one hold the live stock and fedex the to me After i get the tank runing in a day or 2 after i get there??

You can get an ac/dc inverter to run normal wall outlets off your cigarette lighter outlet.

In my younger, more brazen days, I moved from Los Angeles to Austin with my nano by driving 24 hours straight and removing water down to about 4 inches (enough to cover live rock, sand, and corals). I did not use a bubbler to aerate nor a heater to keep it warm since the car was warm. Everything survived just fine and was happy after a few water changes.

If I had to do it again, I would make the drive straight again and this time add the bubbler (for security sake, since my coral are much more expensive now, and I have a 60 gallon) with an inverter to keep things aerated. Hope that helps.

I would take out the sand and rinse it clean. The last time I moved a tank, it stirred up the sand and caused a cycle. The sand will re-seed from your liverock. I think that will eliminate some potential disasters.

I would put the corals in bags like they are normally shipped to the LFS in, and pack them in the bags in a styrofoam ice chest. Aren't they usually in the bags for 24 hours when they are shipped? I think I've heard that they sometimes supersaturate those bags with oxygen, but I don't think that's always the case. I could be wrong about the oxygen thing. Would that affect the pH?