Sapphire Aquatics Vs. Euro Reef

medi

My stock Solana skimmer is finally starting to fail. So now it is time to upgrade. I initially was going to purchase the Sapphire Aquatics skimmer, but then I remembered that Euro Reef recently introduced a nano line of skimmers. I have heard great things about the SA skimmer, but I know nothing about the ER other than their great reputation. Anyone have any experience or know someone that has experience with the ER nano skimmers? Thanks in advance.

I am actually leaning toward the SA skimmer over the ER. I still have not talked to anyone who has actually tried the ER, but I know someone who is using a SA skimmer on a 144G tank and it is doing a good job keeping up with that big of a tank.

Plus it is cheaper. :)

The ER looks pretty slick. The advertising of some sites are promoting it as a "silent" skimmer, which is why I'm attracted to it. Although it does appear that the alloy mesh wheel wears down and somewhere there is a sponge that needs cleaning. I am not a fan of sponges. I am still on the fence. The stock skimmer is still working good for me, so really $145 doesn't seem reasonable.

Not to disuade you from getting something different or better but what has failed with your stock skimmer? I was having trouble with mine not generating bubbles but a full strip down and cleaning (including replacing the air line) got it back to running fine again. I did replace it a while ago with a Tunze nano which I do like better but that decision was based on functionality and noise rather than the stock skimmer not working.

Mine actually is still working great with the exception of the occasional repair to one of the upper acrylic seams. I have fixed it twice previously, and now it is due to be fixed again. I just am getting tired of messing with it.