frog fish

Christian

I've had lots of them. What do you want to know? Are they reef safe? Absolutely not. What will they eat? Just about anything. Are they easy to keep? Yep. Can you keep anything else with them? Not really. Will they attempt to eat fish larger than they are? Yes and it will kill them. Will they try to eat each other if there is more than one? Yes and they will likely both die.

But ask away and I'll try to answer your more specific questions. I've also got some books on them, Coral magazine and several other magazine articles about them. What type to get, how much to spend... I can help with all of that.

I wouldn't keep one in less than 55g. They don't move much and "would be perfect for a 10g" except for one thing, they produce a lot of waste and therefor will spoil water quality very quickly. They eat live shrimp, live fish, whole frozen silver sides, so you can imagine what comes out of them.

They can be kept with some inverts but they will eat them as well. It's just a matter of keeping them full with other items.

Prices on frogfish are all over the place. It sickens me. The "normal" price a short time back was $30, now it seems to be $300. Wartskins are the most desirable and command $150+ prices. Some painted anglers or smooth anglers can be found from time to time around $60 at Aquadome. Be careful buying really colorful expensive specimens as all of mine have changed colors over time to mimic their surroundings. One really bright yellow specimen that had some green stripes and a few orange spots quickly turned jet black in my tank. So don't buy on color alone.

If it were me, I'd head to the coast during the summer seasons and catch me a few srgassum anglers for free. You can find them for $20-50 retail at times. They are the only anglers that have an air bladder (float sac, swim bladder) and can actually swim. They are just as easy to keep as any other angler/frogfish and are very attractive to look at.

thats just not a good way to look at buying a fish, you should be looking at the short term as well as the long term. that would be like your parents saying "well hes a lil big for the crib now, lets see if the neighbors wanna buy him"

thats just not a good way to look at buying a fish, you should be looking at the short term as well as the long term. that would be like your parents saying "well hes a lil big for the crib now, lets see if the neighbors wanna buy him"

not seeing your logic here babies are great for picking up chicks, old babies are expensive... makes sense to get rid of it

Wow that is a horrible view of the hobby, and a smack in the face to what I just said. I appreciate wasting my time with you.

As I stated above, even though it may be small it will still produce more waste than would be good in a 10g tank.

But I'm done answering anymore questions as it is obvious you have made up your mind before you asked for advice. I've seen you do this in other threads as well. Why ask for help or advice if you are only going to **** on those that give you the answers? Well I guess it is a good thing that they have raised the prices, you'll probably only torture one before tiring of the high prices.

Ever get your algae problems taken care of? Man there was some great advice given in those threads yet you turned your back on all of it as well.

I've stareted taking cair of it, changing the water, scrubbing the rocks, I have my protine skimmer running. I also have a 29g and the 55g that I could move the frog fish into but i just want one that is small. thanks for telling me I dont lession to people. thanks for your edvice cafereacermike.

Edited by christian

Along this line,

has anyone set up a small tank in series with a large tank (like some people do with a sump) so they can keep exotic/aggressive animals, but have the full volume to minimize the temp/water quality changes. Just curious.

I believe HeadlessDonky used to have some of his tanks plumbed together .. but he got out of the hobby I believe :) He was keeping seahorses. I have read about it on other boards also.