SPS Growth on Polyp Lab Reef-fresh system

mcallahan

Here are some growth shots I put together.

Camera equipment was a cheapo point and shoot so not every pic the same in terms of colors, but I only shot them for growth...

My lighting equipment is 2x250 SE 14K Hamilton w/ 2x96 PC actinic supplementation. I am not running a calcium reactor, but am dosing Bulk Reef Supply's 2 part system every morning (no drip/pumps).

Also, during the last 2 week period, I put in new bulbs so I reduced my photo period from 6.5 hrs to 2 hrs for 2 days, then increased 30 min/day. Today I'm back to 4.5 hrs of a photoperiod. Still pretty good growth w/out full sunlight!

pearlbery_growth.jpg

roscoes_Growth.jpg

I don't have any growth shots, but I do want to mention that my hair algae disappeared (90%) within a few days of starting the Polyp Lab stuff.

It is interesting because you are dosing so little. In my tank (156) I put in about 2.5 ml per day. Hard to imagine that makes a difference.

I don't have any growth shots, but I do want to mention that my hair algae disappeared (90%) within a few days of starting the Polyp Lab stuff.

It is interesting because you are dosing so little. In my tank (156) I put in about 2.5 ml per day. Hard to imagine that makes a difference.

I agree. I dose 2 mL's a day and that seems like a drop in the ocean, but it does the trick.

I've also noticed the macro in my fuge disappearing. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that there are no nutrients (nitrates) in the water for them to use for growth. Yes, they still get some energy from the light I have above them, but I've heard of people removing their 'fuges on this system for the same reason.

I agree. I dose 2 mL's a day and that seems like a drop in the ocean, but it does the trick.

I've also noticed the macro in my fuge disappearing. I'm thinking this is due to the fact that there are no nutrients (nitrates) in the water for them to use for growth. Yes, they still get some energy from the light I have above them, but I've heard of people removing their 'fuges on this system for the same reason.

Ya know, this makes sense. I have had a heck of a time keeping chaeto alive in my fuge. Well, I don't really have much algae in the main tank, so my nutirent levels are low. Plus, I am dosing with the Reef Fuel also. My zoa's love it.

I would like to get more serious about my SPS, and I've been thinking about trying this system. Aside from the benefits of nitrate/phosphate removal, would you say it's helped your corals' color at all? Just curious. Thanks!

All my corals have gone nutzo. Except my mushrooms which is fine by me. My zoas have exploded and my acans are putting out great new growth.

You'll also see less nuisance algae outbreaks too.

I also have seen lots of growth. But on the color side .. well the jury is still out. I have seen some color shifts in some of my colors, not not always to my liking. I had a bleaching effect in a few of my LPS, but that reversed after a week or two. Most of my zoa's have stayed really brightly colored, but by red purple people eaters green mouths have faded some, and my pink zoas have taken on a more darker red color.

Of course, this could also be influenced by the corals adapting to the 14K lighting over time.