August 09 Photo Contest

ACampbell

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is they are Strawberry anemones. They are a cold water species that live of the coast of Cali. They could be something else but they look darn close. I've always wanted to set up a tank for them. Trouble isn't setting up the tank, it's getting the nems. From time to time I've seen them come in on corals but they never last.

That is what I was thinking too. I know Steve Weist was keeping them in Oregon, but he just went out and collected them. I can't imagine what an electric bill would look like to keep a tank at 58 degrees in Texas!

Sheesh my electric bill went up 130 bucks with the 90g.. from 120 something to 250 something.. and i have a 750SF apartment.. but wow they are very pretty..

Is this typical? My wife (and I) will flip if our bill doubles

I have heard of a calculator online but i dont know where it is.. but it was one of the hottest months of the year too.. but i expected a jump just not that much.. i was running 4mj 1200s a rio 2500 a mag 7 and a rio 1100 and the skimmer pump around the clock... then the lights 10hr a day..

You can buy a device called the Kill-A-Watt Meter. It is rated up to 15 amps. You plug it in, set your electric rate, and then plug your tank into it. It will monitor your power consumption over time and estimate your monthly bill. With light cycles you would want to monitor in full 24 hour increments to get accurate results. Unfortunately this will not include the added load your AC is running to compensate for the heat your tank is giving off to the room. Our 34g with LED lighting is about $6 per month. It was about $12 with the 150W MH, plus we where borderline needing to add a chiller.

Sorry to jump off topic.