Swimming fish?

chrisfowler99

I've got four fish in my 75g at the moment. Two clowns, a fire angel and a diamond goby.

The clowns don't move around much. One has hosted with my GBTA, so it stays pretty much in that area. The other wanders a bit, but, for the most part, confines itself either to near the other clown or to the completely opposite side of the tank.

The diamond goby ranges the tank, but is, obviously, on the sand the whole time.

The fire angel is the most active of my fish, but it spends it's time moving slowly in and out of the rocks, low in the tank.

Are there any options that will spend more of their time higher in the tank, above the rocks and be more active swimmers, while still being comfortable in a 75g tank?

Chromis, 6 line, royal gramma. All fairly common. I have all of these, plus 2 Clarkii clowns, a tail spot blenny, lawnmower blenny in my 58 and I have plenty of activity. I had an Eibli angel, a great looking fish, but he took a liking to my Trachyphyilla brain so he left.

When I get around to setting up my 75 I hope to add a few more. I'd like a tang, maybe a yellow or scopas, and a Genicanthus sp angel.

My Scopas Tang swims around a lot in my 75 gallon. And he gets along just fine with my Flame Angel.

And +1 to the 6 Line wrasse. While not as large, mine explores every nook and cranny of the tank. I have to be careful when I turn off my Korlias for feeding. I have caught him checking out the inside of them!

I have to be careful when I turn off my Korlias for feeding. I have caught him checking out the inside of them!

My TSB goes into my K2 when it's off. Last time I took it out to clean it, the blenny jumped out right into the sink. Never saw him in there. Fortunately, the sink was dry and the hole was closed up.

I'd be a bit worried about a hippo in a 75. Unless you plan on upgrading and can get a small one.

If you can feed a lot you might consider some anthias.

I'm inclined to agree on the Hippo Tang...I see a 70g minimum...I'm probably too small for that.

Not sure what you mean by "feed a lot" for anthias.

I waited until Jake got some small, I mean really small hippo's. I have a 75 and my hippo was the size of say a quarter. I'll trade him back before he gets too big and start all over with a tiny one.

I would consider a wrasse, if your tank is cover or has a canopy. Radiant wrasse, Yellow coris wrasse and one of my favorite...the Red Velvet Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus Rubrisquamis). This guy use to flash his colors and show off his fins like clockwork around 6-6:30 pm, when he could see his reflection, he would show off in the front side of the tank.

I waited until Jake got some small, I mean really small hippo's. I have a 75 and my hippo was the size of say a quarter. I'll trade him back before he gets too big and start all over with a tiny one.

Giving a trading a fish back and a 5 year-old daughter are not two things that go together. ^_^

If y'all are coming all the way to town, might as well make a day of it and hit the Dome, the Tek, and RCA. Your wallet may not like it though.

Hey Mike,

How's the hawk with the inverts? I'd love to have one, but worry for my shrimps, all 1 of them but I want more.

I work 5 minutes from RCA and 10 minutes from Aquatek. I'm at those all the time.

I've been wanting to make a visit to Aquadome. And my daughter would love to see all the fish. I'm off right now, so it sounds like a good time for a trip south.

If y'all are coming all the way to town, might as well make a day of it and hit the Dome, the Tek, and RCA. Your wallet may not like it though.

Hey Mike,

How's the hawk with the inverts? I'd love to have one, but worry for my shrimps, all 1 of them but I want more.

Good question.

So my hawk completely avoids my coral banded shrimp. And with the shrimp being 3x his size, it's no wonder. On the other hand...

I got 5 peppermint shrimp last week from a friend who grabbed them at the coast. I now have one left, which is only due to its amazing hiding skills. My hawk seems fatter. ^_^

I'd say it's really all about size and attitude. I have been tempted to get a pistol shrimp for my goby but don't want to risk the $20 to feed KGB. Maybe the shrimp could fend him off, but I probably wouldn't risk it with any shrimp of equal or lesser size than the hawk.

Was thinking about a Hippo or Regal Tang. Wrasse is another idea.

Not huge on Chromis.

I still want a hippo tang, but remember the Hippo, Powder Blue and Powder Brown are probably the 3 hardest tangs to keep due to their susceptibility to ick. The LFS that told me that said they went through 4 hippos in their display tank before they kept one alive for a long time - and apparently the smaller they start, the harder to keep. I had a 6 line and rarely saw it. I had a royal gramma who was always visible but seemed to hang around one side of the tank. I know this is going to put out an alarm to 'the Tang police' but I think Tangs are generally active and visible around the whole tank. Between my FW and SW tanks I have quit worrying about fish that are going to outgrow my tanks. So many things can happen between the time you get it and the time it gets too large for your tank, or you just trade it. I did have a Kole tang and he was a bit wimpy.

Bill

I disagree about hippos being harder to keep. Unless I am just very lucky. I have a tiny tiny hippo(nickle size when bought now about an inch and a half), a purple and a sailfin. All these have had a small battle with ick when first introduced but I haven't lost any. The purple was a little longer battle but I believe that Achilles would have to be higher than the hippo. I also have come to realization though that if my tangs are eating, I don't remove them from the tank. I think this only stresses them more etc. Maybe I have just been lucky with my tangs but I would say my hippo is pretty ich resistant. Anway I would say my purple is a little more suspetible to ich than my hippo.

Ps I also qt for about a week, which I know isn't long as it should be but my qt is only 10gallon and I feel like I am cramping their style. LOL gonna try a goldrim or Achilles next when I get my large tank. Prolly goldrim at this point though. Wow sorry I got real off topic there.

A 75 is definitely too small for a Hippo. They get over a foot long. In my opinion the only Tang that should be kept in anything under a 6ft long tank are the bristle tooth family (Tomini, Kole, etc.) Those fish need room to swim even when they are small. I think a common misconception is that if they are small it is ok and I will trade it when it gets big. Problem is the fish gets stressed from lack of swim room before it gets too big. The longer I am in this hobby the more I am conservative about what I will put in my tank. I feel that we need to be as contientous as possible to keep the oceans full of these creatures.

After that rant, I would definitely look at the Fairy Wrasses. Beautiful fish and very active.

You know what we found out kind of accidentally - we feed by hanging a plastic tarp-grabber clamp (the kind sold at Academy in the tarp section)

and it's suspended by fishing line (clear monofilament) from a hook in the light fixture box. (Nori usually, but can also clamp onto shrimp, etc.)

and since the fish have to come out of the rockwork to eat it - then over time they seem to have learned "it's safe" out there in the front

(where we hang the food).

I think this is just fish training exercise. - but it works (slowly - weeks or mos. needed).

After some months - they will be at the glass every time you come around (they can see you better then you think..)

especially when they see you picking up the "food clamp" and loading it with goodies.

I feed via a turkey baster. The fish come out of everywhere when that thing enters the water.

I picked up a Pink Margin Fairy Wrasse the other day that hid for 30 seconds, then came out for a few hours, then hid for two days. It came out a little for food the first day. The second day it came all the way out, but went back into hiding when the pumps came back on.

The third day it was already mostly out when I fed, ate right out of the end of the turkey baster and has stayed out since.