Vivid Aquariums Group Order TAKE 4!

mcallahan

Don't let that sponge touch the air!

Glad to hear your order looks good.

Yep, kept it under water the entire time and followed the other acclimation instructions. Within about 30 mins I saw extensions from the "pores" on the sponge, almost like it is a polyp. I wasn't expecting that, but was excited to see it. My coral banded shrimp loves it. I'm not sure if he thinks it's a female or just good camouflage.

The atomic greens are out as well and glow under the actinics. Whisker coral is still being shy, seeing a little extension from the Red Flowerpot and the ricordea, but no action from the Sun polyps. How has your red flowerpot that you got last order done?

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wrasse hasn't given up yet! It moved a little bit. I used a turkey baster to get some food near it (bloodworms + cyclopeeze)... it swam up and APPEARED to eat. I'll keep an eye on it and try feeding again tomorrow-- maybe frozen mysis or brine?

All of the polyps for Markisthebeast's frags opened up. Vivid was pretty generous with his frags:

Hot Tamales (supposed to be 3 polyps) - 5-6 polyps

HobGoblins (supposed to be 4 polyps) - 5-6 polyps

Hawaiian Tropic (supposed to be 8-10 polyps) - 14-15 polyps

Edited by Daniel

All of the polyps for Markisthebeast's frags opened up. Vivid was pretty generous with his frags:

My latest open polyp count is *way* over:

Cherry Bomb Zoas: 8-10 count comes in at 21 that I can see...so far.

Hulk Zoas: 16-20 count comes in at 35 that I can see...so far.

Very generous.

My whisker coral was supposed to be 3 heads, it has 6 (and one is huge). I'm really loving this thing! It looks like a smaller multi-headed BTA and has an awesome glowing green center of each head. The white lightning sponge was supposed to be 2-2.5", and is more like 4". My atomic green Zoas has about 20 polyps (vs 10-12 that was ordered). My orange ricordea is the only thing that seems small, but it is multicolored (blue, green, orange), so no complaints.

No extension yet from the flowerpot or Sun polyps, but my lights hadn't kicked on when I left this morning. Overall I'm REALLY happy with the order.

No extension yet from the flowerpot or Sun polyps, but my lights hadn't kicked on when I left this morning. Overall I'm REALLY happy with the order.

Have you fed anything to the tank yet? My sun polyps open up when ever I feed pellets to the tank (they must like the smell). Plus remember, they like more of a shaded spot since they are not photosynthetic.

My wrasse hasn't given up yet! It moved a little bit. I used a turkey baster to get some food near it (bloodworms + cyclopeeze)... it swam up and APPEARED to eat. I'll keep an eye on it and try feeding again tomorrow-- maybe frozen mysis or brine?

Try live brine to start then switch him over

Hawaiian Tropic (supposed to be 8-10 polyps) 9 polyps

Cherry Bomb Zoas (supposed to be 8-10 polyps) 14 polyps

Orange Ricordea (supposed to be 1 Mushroom) 2 Mushrooms

The two fish, Flame Hawk and Hippo Tang, seem to be in good health.

Overall not bad.

Half my order got eaten so I can't comment.. :)

Actually, I'm also pumped about mine. My flasher wrasse didn't make it, but he was pretty much dead in the box. I'll get a refund on him.

I picked up a piece of tri color prostrada that looks awesome and is over 1" and has several branches. Fully encrusted base. TONS of value in this order and I look forward to what the next one will look like!

Have you fed anything to the tank yet? My sun polyps open up when ever I feed pellets to the tank (they must like the smell). Plus remember, they like more of a shaded spot since they are not photosynthetic.

Yeah, I fed the tank with mysis and then target fed reef roids. I have the sun polyps in shade. Hoping they're opening up while I'm at work.

What kind of pellets do you feed?

Also, I've heard of feeding mysis to blastos, but my blasto just has one head and not a lot of extension. I've dangling pieces over it but it never grabs anything. Should I worry about it not catching any big bits, or just leave it as is?

Bought one of the long extension baster feeders at aquatek. I overpaid, but it extends up to 39" and I wanted it, so I bought it. It will definitely help with target feeding.

This isn't my pic, but is a great example (and carbon copy) of what my whisker coral looks like Duncanopsammia_axifuga_1.jpg

I'll have to focus some mysis at the blasto.

Yeah, I fed the tank with mysis and then target fed reef roids. I have the sun polyps in shade. Hoping they're opening up while I'm at work.

What kind of pellets do you feed?

Also, I've heard of feeding mysis to blastos, but my blasto just has one head and not a lot of extension. I've dangling pieces over it but it never grabs anything. Should I worry about it not catching any big bits, or just leave it as is?

I can't remember the name of the pellets, but they sell them at the Dome, and it is a clear container with a blue lid.

My single blasto head eats mysis and small chunks of krill. I guess it really does not grab them, but if I lay some pieces on it's mouth (with the pumps off), it envelops them and eats them.

Here's what I made out with:

9 hobgoblins (4 polyps)

6 dragonflys (5 polyps)

35+ cherrybomb (8-10 polyps)

12 blue ice (5 polyps)

2 dendros (1 polyp)

36+ sun polyps (med colony)

1"x 3/4" piece of red goni

All pieces have opened up and polyps area all coming out. Sun polyp i'm still coaxing out, should be a few more minutes. Dendro was out in 15 mins. Awesome! BTW, I want to see pics people! :)

dendro

sun polyps

CIMG0248.jpgCIMG0250.jpg

red goni

dragonfly zoas

redgonis.jpgdragonflyzoas.jpg

Great order, thanks again for organizing it Mark.

Thank you to everyone who participated. I apologize for not getting to chat with everyone more as I was unpacking, but I wanted to get people's orders to them quickly so they could bug out if needed.

Thanks to dapettit and mdavis for helping me unpack.

I'm up for another one whenever people want me to head it up. They don't always have to be as huge as this one, but the more the better!

By all means, don't judge any coloration you see of the frags on account of my 60 watts of PC lighting on a 12 gallon nanocube! :) Even I have to laugh at it when I type it.

I'm sure they all look great but until I get a large showtank with metal halide lighting... which that starts with getting a house first, I have to live with the subpar lighting. I'll end up fragging a piece of everything I have to put in my brother's tank and see how they color up in the metal halide lighting.

Sorry I couldn't give a true representation of how the zoas could have looked... but soon... very soon! :D

Our frags are doing okay. We were able to snag one more polyp of the tubbs blue zoas and they were pretty generous with the hawaiian tropics, cherry bombs, and ice blues. My darth mauls still haven't opened up, nor have the sun polyps but they don't look bad, just closed. Hopefully they will begin to open up in the next day or two. I'm anxious to see the darth mauls fully opened. :D

My emerald crab was found munching on my Hippo Tang this morning. I pulled the tang away, but he looks like he had been dead for a while. Anyone ever hear of emerald crabs killing healthy fish?

They shouldn't be able to get their claws(hands) on an alive and healthy fish. I guess he could of snuck up on him while he was sleeping as hippos lock themselves in rocks when asleep, but you'd think he'd wake up and bug out of there.

Take pics, bag him up and freeze him. I'll PM you about the refund/warranty.

Our frags are doing okay. We were able to snag one more polyp of the tubbs blue zoas and they were pretty generous with the hawaiian tropics, cherry bombs, and ice blues. My darth mauls still haven't opened up, nor have the sun polyps but they don't look bad, just closed. Hopefully they will begin to open up in the next day or two. I'm anxious to see the darth mauls fully opened. :D

Ditto on my Sun polyps. They don't look bad, just not open. My red carpet finally opened today, though not with the extension Mark's have. I'll give em some time. My whisker coral is VERY happy. Here's some pics:

gallery_884_119_32118.jpg Whisker coral

med_gallery_884_119_41243.jpg Coco worm and Sun polyps

gallery_884_119_26819.jpg atomic greens

gallery_884_119_5349.jpg White Lightning sponge