Attack of the pinapple sponges!!

Capt. Obvious

OK, my tanks has cycled a few times now and save one detritus issue all is well. Recently my singular "pineapple sponge" has multiplied in to say 60 pinapple sponges, is there anything I can do to keep these guys in check???

...what lives in a pineapple under the sea??

(ok I got that out of the way for all the "funny guys")

Can you post pictures? I think by reducing the nutrients in your water you can control them, IMO.

I agree with the above.

Sponges in general are the most efficient and proficients filters in the ocean. They will self limit if you remove their source of nutriants with some other biodiversity. Just my opinion on natural reefkeeping. Give your tank a little time to cycle. One year is still a young system.

Pat

I can think of 100 things worse than sponges to have a problem with...consider yourself lucky

+1

I agree with another poster that they probably are good for filtration.

I have a rash of tiny anemones (not Astapia, I think they are orange bulb).. but they don't seem to be bothering stuff too much. They close during the day, and are open at night. I see a lot of them mixed in with my zoas.

Taken from reefkeeper.com:

Compared to demosponges, the calcareous sponges are significantly less diverse, and the ones typically found in aquaria are relatively easy to name. Whether or not that name is a "real" one, well, that is open to question. Calcareous sponges are generally small; although some species get quite large in nature, colonies in aquaria that are an inch in size are giants. In natural environments, larger species may be relatively common, but such species are not often found in aquaria. The typical aquarium example is cylindrical or tubular, and while other colors are found in nature, aquarium species are almost uniformly white, tan or a drab, nondescript gray.

Probably the type of calcareous sponge most likely found in reef aquaria are the so-called "Pineapple" sponges. These small, white or gray sponges often appear in a reef aquarium a few weeks or months after it is set up, and may or may not persist for a long time. They tend to appear in areas of relatively high current flow, and big ones reach heights of an inch or so. Aquarists commonly say that they are in the genus Scypha. This may be true, but see the discussion and example in the next couple of paragraphs for the problem: calcareous sponges of essentially the same shape, size and color are described from different areas under the generic names of Scypha, Grantia, Sycon, Leucilla and Leucandra. Species from these species cannot be distinguished by cursory examination. Snap "off-the-wall" identification by aquarists is particularly problematic with the calcareous sponges, which tend to be smaller and more symmetrical than most other sponges.

this is NOT a picture of from my tank but this is what I am referring to.

Hitchhiker14.jpg

and as for excess nutirents...i feed 1/4 cube of brine+ 2x a day and spot feed all my corals (for now) my detritus issue no longer exists but these sponges thrive...and i do 5-10% water changes weekly.

I have read that these are signs of a healthy tank...just kinda with there weren't so many signs :(

Edited by Capt. Obvious

If you don' want them in your main tank.....you could always remove them and place them in your sump/refugium OR someone may want them. This little creatures are naturally filtrating your water and your system is benefitting from them. I personally think they look cool in your tank and it shows the diversity of living creatures in a well establish system. :(

-Cindy-

If you don' want them in your main tank.....you could always remove them and place them in your sump/refugium OR someone may want them. This little creatures are naturally filtrating your water and your system is benefitting from them. I personally think they look cool in your tank and it shows the diversity of living creatures in a well establish system. :(

-Cindy-

Agreed...was going to give a friend some but didn't know if there is a "safe" way to remove them

If they're attached to a smooth surface....you can scrape them off w/razor blade. If attached to rock, I would think you can remove them manually or get them loose enough to siphon them, just make sure they stay under water, to ensure they survive.

Just so you know Brine are like potato chips for your fish. Very little nutritional value. Try mysis instead.

that's why I am feeding Brine+ and not just Brine. I also feed a pellet and a flake...not all every day...I switch it up for diversity sake.