LED Lights

ACampbell

Im wondering about lighting my FOWLR with an array of LEDs. I have no experience working with LEDs. I'm hoping there will be some cost savings as oppose to running two 80 watt t5s. Does anyone know of a good resource where I can do some more research. Links to other threads or sites welcomed.

I just read on a blog somewhere about a person setting up an LED array on his reef tank. I thought it was Nano-reef, but a quick search is not coming up with the article. I will keep looking...

I think the LED arrays are cost saving on energy used, but are expensive to buy...

Edit: Found it! Here is a link into this guy's tank blog where he got the LED array for x-mas.

Edit2: After re-looking at it.. not really that helpful :D Just kinda talks about the array... nothing technical.

Edited by seahorsejl

I had read about another fellow making his own, it was quite simple and cost effective.

He used plastic rain gutter as his fixture. He drilled appropriate sized holes through the gutter to hold the bulbs in place. He ordered the bulbs from Hong Kong on Ebay. led-hk is a common seller. Last I saw 100 5mm super bright bulbs was about $8 plus they sell everything else you need.

The Xmas lights is a good idea. If you still decide to DIY it is super easy. Red wire is + and black is -. Make sure you know if they are DC or AC (the ones I bought were 12V DC) and use a DC transformer plug if they are DC. Some shrink electrical tape and you are done. I can help you if you want.

Just some words of caution. If you go with something pre-wired I would try and go for the outdoor kind. If you decide to go with indoor lights or do the wiring yourself, you might want to build an water tight enclosure with a clear (for LED light to penetrate) plastic cover to prevent moisture from getting to your new light setup. The indoor lights are not designed for water and wiring yourself to be water proof could be tricky. You could run into some complications after your setup has been up for a while. Complications like corrosion of parts or something shorting on you. I could be overcautious in this department, but it is electricity and water....

If you go with the enclose I think you can find some online pretty easily. You also might be able to find something you can adapt for your purpose at Home Depot in outdoor lighting. You might even be able to get by with caulking a plastic box with a clear lid.

If anyone has other thoughts please chime in. I am not an expert, just don't want to see hard work being lost and especially don't want any harm come to a member or their fish.