180 Build "Heavy"

Grog

Yeah, and it's super simple to feed multiple times a day.  In a couple years when yur sailfin is the largest tang in the system you'll likely want to add a second to it's tank.  They know when it's starting to rotate and being the biggest fiah they don't hesitate to throw their weight around and try to hog all the food.  Having two autofeeders and using 1mm pellets will let all the other fish get some.  And you can reinforce your fish/human bonding by hand feeding frozen. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Water change today.   Some simple sump maintenance too.  Cleaned out the socks and sponges.  Check out the (what I think are) tunicates under the bracket that the filter sponge sits on.  Wow!  Covered. 

IMG_20241007_124724412.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah, it's fascinating the stuff that shows up in the dark.  :D  It's really too bad more people didn't pay attention when Steve Tyree started promoting cryptic sumps back in the 90's.

• 2 weeks later...

Rock rotation program.

The 40 has an algae problem.   Hair is gone but caulerpa is persistent.    Been rotating rocks from the 40 into the 180.    Rock has algae?  It goes into the 180...

Tangs DESTROY the algae in a few days.  This is my new way.  :P

This may not work for everyone and may not be optimal for many reasons, but my tangs are getting good food and my 40 is getting cleaned up.  :D   Plus the 40 also has a crazy pod population.  Wrasse loves the pods.

Putting these fish to work!  This keeps me from putting a tang in the small tank.  

Image is what I moved into the 180 today.   I'll follow up next week.  (and yes, everyone is excited about the new addition.)

IMG_20241019_174125170.jpg

• Like 2