180 Build "Heavy"

Grog

Other zoas opened today.   These were also from WWC.  Also, very good colors.  They called these yellow submarines and sweet tooth.  I'm digging both but that pink center on the sweet tooth is really nice.   Good purchase IMO. 

Letting all the new goodies acclimate for a week in the sand bed.   These will go on the bottom next to rocks and hopefully they spread upwards.

zoas.jpg

• Like 1

Cleaned and rearranged the last few days.       Glued a few montis down and put some zoas where they can spread out.  Need to figure out where the cabbage and hammer should go.

There is a little bit of fine green algae.    The diatoms seem to have gone away for the most part.

I need to work on the canopy Sunday.   We will see if I have time. 

Anemone is happy.  Her name is Anita.  I've been feeding her small shrimp 2x a week.  I'm a big sucker for nems and kinda baby them.    If you look closely at the top, I'm being brave.  I put a monti frag up on that rock to see how it likes the light.  Not glued.  Hoping an urchin or crab doesn't push it into the nem and its doom.  Testing another monti on the left, supposed to be Jedi Mind Trick but I'm not so sure.

IMG_20240510_135911951.jpg

Monti and stunner area, now with gorgs.  Gorgs are not happy as they just got moved.  ORA Melonberry monti upper left, some red/orange monti center, HS on right.   The fuzzy green is kinda yucky here.

IMG_20240510_135906711.jpg

Pulsing Xenia, toadstool, hammer, and candy cane here.  The night eyes zoas and toadstool seem to be fully adjusted now.  Hammer is down in the sand bed acclimating for now.

IMG_20240510_135919645.jpg

FTS

IMG_20240510_135857053.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Allison Atherton said:

The original owner of Heavy really was interested in getting a picture update! I think I gave his details to Tim! Hope you update him!!!

Will do.  Somehow our chat got archived on my phone. :)

Need opinions on three things. Especially from folks who came over yesterday.

1. Should I frag these stylos soon?   Thinking they need it in the middle areas where they are growing into each other.   They are a bit crowded internally IMO. 
  2. Should I move the stylo rock up, putting it back from the front glass a bit and up even with the shelf rock? Kinda where the foxface is in the picture.
  3. If I did both of the above, would it be better to stagger the operations?   Frag one week and move up a week or two later?

I'm leaning towards yes for but want some input before I do this.  FWIW these were in the 40 before. I put them in the 180 at the bottom so they didn't get 'shocked' by the halide output.   If I move them, it will be next weekend, so they are not blasted.

Grog

IMG_20240623_173703358_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

I would initially say yes.  But since you just moved it from your 40 and they are under a different lighting technology I would wait a few more weeks before doing either.

2 hours ago, Timfish said:

I would wait a few more weeks before doing either.

Tend to agree.  I'll hold of and let that acclimation have more time, and revisit middle of next month.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving the stylos where they are height wise.  Rotated the rock a bit and it fits nicely.   Now they are not as close to the front glass and not in danger of growing into it.  Plus, the rock looked too blocky on the ledge.   I still think I need to frag it, but I need to buy a pair of cutters.   I'll do that end of the month.

Trying a new cleaning method.    Scrubbed the hell outta rocks today.  Rotated bad ones into the sump for hair algae free ones.   Did a giant toothbrushing on the rocks.   Did some relocations and glued stuff down.   Even pulled the glass tops and wiped them down.  I think I may have found a spot where the new stunner can live, and hide its dead zone.

New method is to let all that crud settle out via the overflows and sump.   Then do my water change tomorrow.   Break it up into two events.    Seems easier, lazier, and I don't need more chores.   Let the filter socks catch all my crud from today, swap them out, and water tomorrow.  :P

No pics today.  I'll take a FTS on Friday after my WC tomorrow and a day for everything to mellow out.

Grog

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Long time since I've updated.   There has been a lot going on here.

I semi-retired at the first of the month.  Just working two days a week now. :)   So, I have time for projects.  One was managing some home repairs.   Guys came out to work on tile.  They were grinding and chipping in the house.  Dust everywhere.  OMG!   Covered the tanks, opened the windows and doors, and put a fan in place.    House heated up.

I think between the increased house heat, and the halides, one of my glass tops decided to crack.   In a bad way.   Fortunately, I was home, and the glass didn't drop into the tank and the halide fixture didn't drop into the tank.   WHEW!  It could have been bad.  😬

IMG_20240718_111142.jpg

Now I know the glass tops need to go.  I've wanted a canopy for a while, but I've been procrastinating.   Now, I have the time, need, and drive to do it.  :)  

For me, I think a canopy will stop light spillage into the living area, help with evaporation, keep the wrasse from tile surfing, and hide the light fixtures and wires.   This was on my list for a long time.  I'm grateful that I have the free time to do this now.  Another bonus is that I won't need to clean those glass tops any more.  :D

Here is the canopy in progress.  Used 1X8 as the base.   Stacked two tall, so it is almost 15" high.  Just got the first coat of Kills in on the inside and I'm done for the day.  9-10 hours in this heat and I need a break. 

I used 1X2 to tie the 1X8 together and wood screws.  Same across the front and sides.   Made a small support so the edges will cover the tank's trim.

IMG_20240718_121031739.jpg

I cut some holes in the back so I can run wiring but, I left them small, so wrasse does not escape.  The cross pieces are resting on a riser.  I can move them if I need to but for now, they are spaced to fit my halide fixtures.   Made a door and attached with 'piano' hinge.   I will likely add one more hinge.   I didn't finish the interior priming with Kilz yet.  I was toast at this point.  

I'm liking the runners for the fixture support.  If I wanted to add LED strips on the bottom these would make it super easy.  For some supplemental effects.   (Night lights or actinic pop.)

IMG_20240718_201221779.jpg

Edited by Grog
Multiple grammar and omissions.
  • Like 1

Now we are getting somewhere.

Canopy done and painted and hung.  Ran the wires for the lights.  Halides came on at noon.  I'm good with this, it is starting to look like a proper tank!

Next step is a top for the canopy.  Need to cut holes for the exhaust.

Then doors for the stand.

It ain't fine furniture but it does the job.

IMG_20240723_120230158_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

The lights being raised are a good benefit here. Better spread on the halides and the T5 has a lot less 'splash' on the glass. I was gone for four days and had minimal algae on the glass.  Total win!   Usually it would take some effort to clean the glass after being gone that long. 

• Like 2

Changing water in the tanks today.  Keeping to my Water Change Wednesday theme.  Nothing much to report but the nem says hi.  I'm kind of surprised the clowns haven't figured it out yet.  I fed her last night, silversides.  First chunk, the lunare snatched it from her. 🤯  So, I fed another piece she ate that.   

*Knocks on wood* I think that I may be over the worst of the algae issues in this tank.  

All things considered:  lunare hungry enough to steal food from a nem, no algae, and fish eating the food quickly, I am increasing my feeding volumes slightly.   Let's get these fish growing.  :D

IMG_20240730_170900283.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today is one of those days where I'm reminded that minor changes may not have minor effects to a system.

Some of the corals in this tank have been looking rough.  Toadstool mainly, but toadstool and gorgs are kinda moody so I ignored it.   

IMG_20240822_114312234.jpg

This has persisted and a few others looked kind of sad this morning.   So, I checked the temp.   Water temp is down at 73.8. 😒

Apparently, adding the canopy and raising the halides off the water has decreased the temp that much.    There is a very small heater in the sump.  (It is way undersized, as it came from the 75....)  It has likely been on 24/7 for a while, which explains my jump in my electric bill....

Ran to Petco and grabbed the biggest heater they have and put it into the sump.  300W.    It may be enough.  We will see.  Halides about to kick on at noon and will give it a boost.    My guess is it has been good mid/end of the day and then cooling down at night.  Slowly losing temp over the last few weeks.

This goes into the 'it defies logic' category.   Texas summer, 113 outside, I'm running halides and T5......   and I need a heater.  😛   Makes no sense.   🤪

Took the old small heater out.   Something neat is a ton of tunicates (I think they are) growing on the heater.  Notice how they are all on the top, non-heating element, section in droves.

IMG_20240822_113539092.jpg

IMG_20240822_113605178_HDR.jpg

This is an example of always cover the basic blocking and tackling stuff.   Check your temp, your water level, etc.  Simple things we can take for granted.  Don't make assumptions.

I would not have imagined I'd need a heater.   Chiller, sure, heater no...

IMG_20240822_113605178_HDR.jpg

• Haha 2

One heater didn't do the trick.   Temp still low today so I added another 300W and the temp is moving now.

This motivated me to construct the top on the canopy and add some eye hooks.  The cover should help the temp stay up and with evaporation.   2 coats of Kills inside and out.  2 coats of the same paint as the canopy on the outside.   I cut a few holes that sort of line up with the exhaust fans on the lights.  Sort of.....  The fans are 3" and my largest hole saw was like 2.5" oh well.  Good enough.

I'll likely put 4 screws in to hold this down.  I don't anticipate needing access to the top but like 2X a year for bulb changes. So, I didn't bother with fancy fasteners or door hardware here.

IMG_20240823_151512581.jpg

I spent the extra dollar and got the safety hooks.  One set for each side.   This will hold the lid/door open when I'm cleaning.

IMG_20240823_150649802_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240823_151332833_HDR.jpg

Next item for this tank is the sides of the sump.   Not this weekend though.

IMG_20240823_150649802_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

OK, top cut out and painted.

The holes line up pretty well with the fans.

I didn't screw it down.  Gravity is my friend.   I may screw it down, depending on how much the light spillage from that corner bothers me at night.   Laziness may prevail.

Water was 77.4 this AM.   Progress.

I know the picture is kind of dumb, but it shows the end product.

IMG_20240825_100539741_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

BTW don't add these to your tanks. They jump. They get eaten.  I wonder do this again.  Wrasse demolished one in two minutes even though it was 50% larger than it. Wrasse knows what the good food is. 

• Like 1

I've had decent success with them but the ones I've tried were about a third the size and they didn't go in systems with aggressive wrasses.  Too bad as they are really good for turning over the sand.

Aggressive is a good word for the wrasse.  But it is very strange to me that he would attack and kill something that large.  The shrimp was 1.5-2X his size.  Yet, he doesn't harass the small clowns.

Also interesting to note how the pseudochromis joined in the shrimp massacre.  (Same one who beat up the one I gave you.)

All of the shrimp in the DT are done.  Some shells are all that remain.  I need to check the sump.   I put a net over the sump to try to keep yours in there.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...