Hair algae!!

Christyef

Help! Hi everyone. I'm back home after working in Jewett, TX for 6 weeks on a powerhouse shutdown. Interesting work, good money, but working 7-12's and staying in a hotel w/ two 60 lb dogs is for the birds. Glad to be home!

I had a house sitter that kept my fish alive and tanks topped off. My 35 gal looks like an 80's rock band... SOOOOO much hair algae.... asking for yalls help to fix it! Thank u 0716e52b05dc73633b5a72f73df346e8.jpg0375950a2027c9c121a359e3f3f7456a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you pull the rock out?

Syphoon out as much algae as you can using your thumb on the end of the hose to pinch and pull it off the rock, get it off thebsand bed too. If you can pull the rock out of the tank put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the algae on the rock let it soak for 2-3 minutes and put it back in. In a day or 2 what algae you sprayed will be gone.

Do you run any po removal media?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by jasonb87

+1 on pull the rock. Best way I've found is to take out about 5 gallons of water and leave it in a 5 gallon bucket or other container. Use an electric sonic scrubber if you can get one, but a coarse brush would work as well, while holding the rock in the 5 gallon bucket and try to get as much of it as possible. I would also spray some straight H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) on all of the rock and whatever algae you can't scrub off and let it sit out of water for 5 - 10 minutes. After that, limit nutrient introduction as much as possible. Use GFO if you have some because the rock and sand likely has absorbed PO4 which will leach out over time.

Additional water changes are likely necessary because as the algae dies by whatever method you use, it releases nutrients back into the tank. If you don't remove them, they just get consumed by algae or cyanobacteria, so some method to kill or remove the algae and remove the nutrients from the water is the best bet.

Someone suggested I do a magnesium spike over the course of two weeks.

You can try it, but I did that for two months and it had no appreciable effect, and isn't cheap.

Physical removal is your best bet, and removing the nutrients that are feeding it's growth. I'd cut back your light schedule a bit. The most likely culprit is that they were overfeeding the tank.

Someone suggested I do a magnesium spike over the course of two weeks.

You can try it, but I did that for two months and it had no appreciable effect, and isn't cheap.

Physical removal is your best bet, and removing the nutrients that are feeding it's growth. I'd cut back your light schedule a bit. The most likely culprit is that they were overfeeding the tank.

+1 mag spike did nothing for me.

Spray bottle with H2O2, increased water changes, added GFO, limit feedings and a algae scrubber did the trick for me.

You got to get the algae out and get ahead of the po and nutrents

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I struggled with hair algae and I eventually fixed it by hand picking, scrubbing with a tooth brush, reduced lighting, increased water changes, and reduced feedings to a bare minimum. It's all better now with the exception of a couple of random tufts that turn up but I put a couple of my thin striped hermit crabs in there and they are awesome! My tank is small and I can't remove the rock so I just did as much as I could. Be sure to siphon everything and keep everything as clean as possible. I also changed out my carbon and GFO/ phosgaurd more often.

from me

• Like 2

just my 2cents, manual removal all you can, raise MG, and get some Phosphate RX made by Blue Life. Then go to MELEVEES REEF (spelling?) and watch his video tutorial on how he dosed his tank, it will explain very well.

Thnx, off-road. I jst watched his video. I'll get some phosphate Rx this morning.

The lawnmower blenny is doing a pretty good job. And he's fun to watch. Looks like a grumpy old man to me. [emoji23]

Yep, one of my favorite fish. I've also found they like new, young growth on hair algae. Sometimes all it takes to get mine cleaning again is to manually remove the older, longer GHA so that he can get the fresh roots.

• Like 1

I definitely have a renewed excitement for the hobby after being gone 6 weeks. The 2 weeks before I left, I was so stressed about how to keep the tanks running I was ready to throw it all away. I'm so glad I didn't and found a house sitter. Such a blessing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've got an urchin you can have - Did a great job clearing hair algae on my 75 gallon. I got it specifically when I had a bad issue. I've got him in my QT right now, as I am in need of re-homing him, as he does knock over corals, if not attached. and will eat coraline algae. Just move him from patch to patch

I've got an urchin you can have - Did a great job clearing hair algae on my 75 gallon. I got it specifically when I had a bad issue. I've got him in my QT right now, as I am in need of re-homing him, as he does knock over corals, if not attached. and will eat coraline algae. Just move him from patch to patch

I appreciate it. I have an urchin in there. It jst got way out of control so fast and they couldn't keep up w/ it. It's much better now

• 1 month later...

Did you re-home that Urchin? If not I'll take it. I got in a motorcycle wreck (11 broken bones) and my tank took a hit. I'm now struggling with hair algae (big time)

thanks,

John

Did you re-home that Urchin? If not I'll take it. I got in a motorcycle wreck (11 broken bones) and my tank took a hit. I'm now struggling with hair algae (big time)

thanks,

John

OH NO!!! Sorry to hear that! Hope ur ok and doing better!

• Like 1