For those reef keepers that are thinking about a pond in the back yard.

Jimbo662

I'm sure this would work fine in Texas if it were shaded and supplemented with the right chiller.... probably expensive for one big enough to control the amount of heat and water in this system.

I wonder how many gallons it is.

a commercial water chiller would do it *cough*chillkingcom*cough*

Evap rate and I wonder what the local wildlife would do with it? I can only imagine birds/coons/possums swooping in for a delicious fish meal, but yeah, this setup is one of my recurring dreams. Only difference is I had thought of doing it with a saltwater pool so I could dive and do maintenance on it that way.

I'd be worried about debris. leaves, pollen, dirt, wildlife taking a bath, etc. The ocean can handle that due to sheer volume.. closed system- thats gotta have a huge filtration system or something.

I'm sure a large cicada could make a great fish snack if it fell into the pond.... Birds are another story. Maybe it'd need one of those fake owls perched next to it to keep them at bay in Texas. I'm seriously interested in this idea because I was thinking of making an aquaponics setup in my back yard anyway..... it'd be even cooler if it were salt water. You could also do something like this inside a "green house" to keep the critters at bay and control the temperature a bit better. Vegetable misters with RO water could do a lot to keep the temp down during the hottest parts of the day.

After doing some internet detective work I think this is at Coral World in Eilat, Israel. Its connected to the Red Sea, not a standalone lagoon.

hquG7c2.jpg

In order to do this in our climate, like was said before you would need a huge chiller and have a system that would maintain the salinity when it decides to pour down rain. And some massive filtration. All the issues can be solved, but I would bet its very very expensive.

• Like 1

I watched that and said to myself... This would only work if you lived near the coast and pumped in and out fresh sea water.. Unless, money was no object.. I too have had the same idea about a saltwater pool that you swim in, but that bill would be massive as well. Here is to dreaming..

I remember RC had a thread of a huge outdoor tank being built in a neighborhood as a sort of common-park tank. It was in Saudi Arabia or something like that. Obviously born completely out of the insane oil wealth and making life better for the engineers and workers who had to live out there. I stopped following it before they got coral and fish in it, but it looked awesome.

I always day dream about making an outdoor/green house coral reef pond. Keep the greenhouse temp stable with a heater supplement in the winter and fans or AC in the summer and you could have an outdoor system if designed well. Maybe one day if the real estate market stops growing out of reach of locals I'll have enough land to do that on [emoji30]

When we went to Palau, our hotel had an outdoor pond that was getting fresh seawater pumped in. It was really cool, lots of huge fish, clams, corals, etc... They even let you feed them a few times a day. They even had a little bridge.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g294136-d501941-i178259850-Palau_Pacific_Resort-Koror_Koror_Island.html