temperature for a QT tank

bfrench

I would also consider double checking that temp with another thermometer. I had one of those digital ones like you have and it read 7 degrees high. Bought another and it was 5 degrees low. Just something to think about before you go crazy fixing a hot tank.

get some of that thermal barrier roll stuff on amazon for the garage door.... dropped mine 5-10 degrees on avg. been reasonable so far.. this is the first summer w/ it. http://amzn.to/1sIKfQE

If we weren't in the process of selling our house I'd seriously consider that. Maybe on the next home.

86.2 @ 0800

So I'm thinking this still may be doable, I only need to cool it by about 6 degrees.....going to try the clip on fan later today and over the weekend. Then try the ice packs.

• Like 1

86.2 @ 0630

85.1 @ 0900

86.1 @ 1200

87.6 @ 1545

89.2 @ 1900

90.0 @ 2300

86.2 @ 0800

86.5 @ 1200

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

91.6 @ 2100

86.9 @ 0800

So the temperature seems to vary from around 86 to 91 over the course of the day without any attempts at cooling the tank.

The goal for phase two is to drop the temperature of the tank down to the mid-70s. How realistic that is I don't know. Frankly, given the ambient temperature in the garage I'm not sure the clip on fan will work, but it's a good place to start and it will make for an interesting variable.

My guess is it'll take a substantial amount of cooling from the fan to lower the temperature. Really, you can just aim for 80 as my reef tank averages 81 with no issues.

The bigger problem will turn out to be the amount of evaporation you have to contend with daily. Most QTs are a smaller volume so salinity swings quicker when that much evaporation in one day occurs.

Maybe go ahead and put salt in it and track your daily salinity swings as well as the amount of evaporation you get daily. If you're swinging more than 1.002 in a day, I'd consider a chiller over the fan.

77.5 @ 0800

This is 8.5-9 degrees less than prior mornings. The fan was about $8-10 at target.

Clipped onto the work bench peg board

ba31bffe8a05dbcdffcd0dd64716f18e.jpg

Will keep an eye on temps throughout the day. If stable, may add salt this evening and will post readings for salinity as well

Temperature this morning at 0745 was 77.5.

Added salt on my way out the door, will check levels and temp this afternoon.

Reached way back to my chemistry days in undergrad and did some reading.

Primary concern at this point is saltwater has a lower heart capacity than fresh water. Essentially given the same conditions it takes less heart energy to increase the temperature of salt water when compared to fresh water.

From a practical application I think this means the temperature will likely run higher despite the use of a fan.

Recall that without the fan temps were ranging from 86-91. The addition of the fan brought temps down to a range of 76-86 for the freshwater.

A point of clarification, I only have an RO unit, no DI. This may or may not affect outcomes when attempting to replicate this setup. Additionally, I can't remember when the modules have been replaced so it's not likely to be very efficient. Further, the ambient temperature in your garage may differ.

Or just moving it inside...

Not an option, we're in the process of selling our house so random QT tank with PVC pipe sitting in my office is a no go

Starting to look like a chiller may be the only answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possibly, but I haven't tried the ice packs yet, and if I can get the temp to stay below 84 I think I'll be fine. My tank sat at 84 while we were out of town a bit over a week ago and everything was fine. Also, really not interested in investing in a chiller for a QT tank.

I never did QT before. All the fish seem fat and healthy, but I've noticed white stringy excrement. So I'd like to run everyone through a prazipro course before they go to the new tank (280) at the new house. I don't want to deal with similar issues down the road in that large of a system. So now is the time to do it right.

I never did QT before. All the fish seem fat and healthy, but I've noticed white stringy excrement. So I'd like to run everyone through a prazipro course before they go to the new tank (280) at the new house. I don't want to deal with similar issues down the road in that large of a system. So now is the time to do it right.

Prazipro is relatively reef safe and I've used it in my system 2x before without any issues. I believe fan worms are sensitive to it and may die but that's the only side effect I've heard. Like with most medications, remove carbon, and more than likely your skimmer will overflow for awhile before returning to normal. I just let it overflow into the sump.

Again, I see no need to QT as its reef safe for the most part.

Valid point Ty

Another consideration has been the possibility of using Chloroquine Phosphate for treating Ich/Marine Velvet. My understanding is that it's not as reef safe and functions as an algaecide as well. My hope with all of this was to have a relatively healthy tank the next time around and to avoid some of the headaches I've run into.

Regardless, I'm a bit of a science geek and this experiment has been enjoyable and not particularly time consuming. For myself and others who aren't able to run a QT in their home it would be great to see this work out. Ideally I'd just snag a big black tub from a farm supply store coughTYcough and load it up with fish in my office. Frankly I'm jealous of someone being able to do that, my wife would have my head.

I'd like to point out that the insulation that was recommended for the garage door might be enough to bring the temp down a few more degrees thus making the setup with the fan workable without running a chiller. Just something else to keep in mind if you decide to do this yourself.

Also 78.8 @ 0740