Mixing bucket sludge

KimP

Kind of a different "what is this", but I'm cleaning my mixing station yet again, and wondering what this sludge is that always accumulates in my mixing container and all over the pump, tubing, and heater. I use 000tds rodi water, and either Red Sea Coral Pro or Reef Crystals and both do this. Any ideas? Am I the only one this happens to?

2a7520c07c8c5502f53bc9df8a8f9335.jpg

I use Red Sea Coral Pro also and get the same stuff. Once it's gone I'm going to switch salt. Not sure exactly what causes it. After I make a bucket of water I rinse with tap water and wipe it down with paper towels. The paper towels come out with a tan colored film on it...and that's usually only after a couple of hours of mixing.

I use to get it too. I read it's for binding or something. I contacted rscp about it and they said don't mix their salt longer than 15 to an hour and it won't happen. I switched to hw salt mix and it doesn't contain the stuff.

I use to get it too. I read it's for binding or something. I contacted rscp about it and they said don't mix their salt longer than 15 to an hour and it won't happen. I switched to hw salt mix and it doesn't contain the stuff.

I definitely mix longer than that. Days often. What is "hw salt mix"?

I use to a have a problem with low alk. I mixed for days also. Then I read somewhere that the longer you mix the more your alk falls. I started mixing for about 15 minutes then Test. Alk stays at advertised measurement. Rscp suggests not even using a pump to mix. Just swish your hand around till its dissolved. It takes a matter of minutes

agreed, i have used RSCP exclusively when i was in before and i learned to NEVER mix until i was gonna use it. On that note i wouldnt use any other salt either. JMO but each to there own.

I like rscp too. I think I got a weird batch once and switched to hw. Then got 3 boxes for $60 on Amazon one day. Too cheap to pass up. It's clean though. It uses a little more salt to get to 35 ppt though. Costs $10 more than rscp too.

regardless what salt I used in the past, I got them no matter what, even with hw salt. And this was mixing in the 55 barel with mag 9 pump. Reef crystal is the worse, and second rscp. Tried to research why my salt would do it, rscp getting worse the longer I let it sit the more brown sludge I got, even on the surface. Then I went to rscp forum on reef central to find out why It doesn't happen to other people. To my solution, I found out my pump isn't enough to mix salt. Ever since I use mp40 to mix salt, I always have clear water, no precipitate, brown sludge at all. My salt disolve quicker too. Even with rscp now if I let it sits 3 days after mix, my water is still clear.

So I would say try to increase your flow either with bigger power head or add second pump to turn the salt over quicker.

• Like 2

^ agreed.

I use instant ocean. Waveline 12000 on a 100g conical barrel with 2 wp10 high and low height wise. Mixed 1500 gallons so far about. Minimal sludge, very thin coat. I mix the heck out of it too. The pump is used to mix for about an hour or so. The powerheads and heater stay on 24/7.

regardless what salt I used in the past, I got them no matter what, even with hw salt. And this was mixing in the 55 barel with mag 9 pump. Reef crystal is the worse, and second rscp. Tried to research why my salt would do it, rscp getting worse the longer I let it sit the more brown sludge I got, even on the surface. Then I went to rscp forum on reef central to find out why It doesn't happen to other people. To my solution, I found out my pump isn't enough to mix salt. Ever since I use mp40 to mix salt, I always have clear water, no precipitate, brown sludge at all. My salt disolve quicker too. Even with rscp now if I let it sits 3 days after mix, my water is still clear.

So I would say try to increase your flow either with bigger power head or add second pump to turn the salt over quicker.

I've never heard this before, thanks! I'll look into getting a more powerful pump.

I also use Instant Ocean and mix 50 gallons at a time. Every year or so I get a thin layer of gray build-up on the inside of the barrel and pipes. I only go through 200 gallons of saltwater a year, so it could be because I don't mix very much.

I use regular Red Sea Salt (Not Coral Pro) to achieve more natural salt water parameters.

I get the same buildup over time in my mixing bin.. better there than in the tank.

I give the bin a good vinegar bath probably once a year or bi annually.

I use coralife and don't usually get any buildup. Way back in the day when I used RSCP, there was buildup everywhere.

FWIW, if you are dosing alk and Ca via other means, there is no reason for you to spend more on RSCP, I'll even say it may be detrimental as it can spike your Ca and alk levels.

It was really designed to be used as a dosing replacement for tanks that just do water changes to maintain Ca and alk, hence the crazy high alk and Ca in the mix.

I think RSCP puts more of each component into their salt. When you mix it it doesnt dissolve completely so you get precipitates on the walls of your container. I had the same thing with RSCP. I don't know whether the precipitate encourages microbe growth chemically or just gives them something to hold onto, but thats just some microbe growth on the precipitate. I used a dilute HCL mix with DI water once a year or so.

This is gonna sound crazy.... I mix mine a full week out. I actually have a 55gal barrel mixed (second 55gal ro/di), only used about 25-30, then mix more ontop of it. I decided to do it this way so that stuff settles out in there and not in my tank. I theorize its the anti-caking agent plus mineral additives in the salt. If it cant stay bound to the water molecule, I really dont want it in my tank anyways! crap in barrel vs crap in tank. (i dont have alk issues either). I use coralife or reef crystals.. whichever is on sale. ty told me to stop buying the prosalt, cuz im adding the stuff in already anyways :)

• Like 1