DSA 175 Peninsula Build

Jimbo662

The wavs are installed and programmed. I was shocked in a good and bad way. Started them up and the flow was crazy. Crazy flow = messy tank! They stirred up every bit of crap in the tank. All the brittle stars immediately extended their legs and the little tube worms put out their strings. Luckily I had a clean filter sock laying in the stand and put it on. I'll have to wait for the water to clear to get some pics / videos. It worked out great because I'd wanted to put them on the angled sides of the overflow box. The back side magnet was the perfect size.

• Like 1

I'll start off by saying I completely forgot to get a video of the pumps. I did end up moving them. With them on the angle of the overflow box it seemed more of the water was being forced up and down the glass than down the length of the tank. I moved them to the front of the box and angled the head a little so the were pointed more toward the middle of the tank at the glass. I also moved them up about 3". This seems to be a better position. Seeing better random flow than in the original position and no more trenches being dug in the sand! I moved all the zoa's to the 36g yesterday. Tomorrow will move the scoly / trach and a couple of others that are on the sand at the end of the tank. Once those are gone I'll be able to crank the gyre back up and see what these powerheads can really do!!! punk.gif

• Like 1

I picked up a midas blenny and pair of banngai cardinals and have them in QT.

I've been using my DOS doser for alk, cal and mag. I bought 3 BRS dosers for those and will be using the DOS to do daily constant water changes. I built a basic box to attach the BRS dosers to and sit the 3 jug. The jug on the right will store fresh saltwater and I'll have a home depot bucket behind it for the old water.

Front

post-2872-0-70452000-1456856130_thumb.jp

Back

post-2872-0-74803700-1456856145_thumb.jp

In the stand

post-2872-0-31001200-1456856183_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Couple of updates:

Got a bargain on a pair of clowns from a certain local reefer, a snowflake and a Picasso. By the end of the day the little picasso was already hosting the toadstool. I need to clean the glass so I can get some good pics of them.

Successfully tested my water change set up. Did 1 gal per day the last two days. Gonna change it up to do 3 gal per day. I usually make about 4 gal at a time so figure is if I only change 3 gal I won't be taking the chance of running out of new water and then end up pulling too much water out which would be replaced with ro/di.

When I ordered the wav's and got a free sps frag pack from Unique Corals...they're due in today.

I still need to set up the BRS dosers but waiting till I get more frags growing and depleting everything before that needs to be done.

• Like 1

Wow! That's almost 1,100 gals/yr!

Are you going to be using large stock tanks for holding saltwater? I guess what I'm curious about is what would be your daily/weekly schedule to always have fresh saltwater on hand and to dispose of old water?

Who me? Water changes? [emoji15]

It only comes out to about 10% each week. I'll just mix up a home depot bucket each day. New water goes into the white bucket and waste water goes into a home depot bucket for easy carrying to the toilet.

How do you program something like that? Set the return pump to cut off, then one doser to pull X amount, followed by the other adding back X amount, and return pump back on at the same time each day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using my DOS pump. I programmed both pumps to run identically so it adds and removes at the same time. The removal tube is upstream from the tube that adds water so I'm not immediately pulling the new water out. This keeps the sump water level steady.

Nice! I feel like you should automate the water disposal and salt mixing as well. Like have the 5-gallon bucket fill up with RO/DI water automatically, have a dispenser automatically open to dump preportioned amount of salt in, pump turn on to mix it, and leave a salinity probe in there to make sure it's at 1.025 or whatever your desired salinity is. If the salinity is not in range, have it notify you and you can adjust manually as needed.

For disposal, that's just as simple as running a line to a drain directly.

Do it Jimbo! Do it! It'll be like the Rube Goldberg of water changes! You can throw in a rolling egg on a rail hitting a spoon somewhere too just for a throwback nod to Rube Goldberg.

I think I'm done with all the "project" work finally. Spent this morning calibrating the BRS pumps and mixing up some fresh 2 part. Yesterday I picked up a yellow tang and 4 additional blue gudgeon goby's to go along with the one I've got in the tank. They're in QT right now and luckily all are eating very well and are very active. Now to sit back and watch stuff grow and figure out what fish to buy next! dribble.gif

• Like 2