Wood floor / metal stands...

SChrisEV

In my new place I have a laminate wood floor. My stand is metal, but Line-X coated. For you that have wood floors (or just want to share your thoughts) should I place anything under the stand? A small rug, etc. put felt (or something) on the underside of the stand or leave it as is. Part if me likes the idea of felt on the underside, or a rug, but I'm a little concerned that any water that happens to get down there will not dry as fast, and possible have a negative affect on the floor.

Any input?

Thanks

I wish I had input for you sir but the laminate floor my metal stand is on I've already deemed to be replaced upon move-out so I didn't care if it got screwed up with the tank on top of it. I will say that I don't like the idea of something like a rug or felt that can hold water as it will make it more difficult to dry under there and allow for rust to possibly form quicker. Just my 2 cents.

I'd use one of the rubber grill liners like they have for under your bbq grill. Alternately, both Home Depot and Lowes sell rubber runner in black or clear of various widths. The clear would not only protect and let the floor show through, but would let you see if water got under it.

How's it going everyone. I'm new here but have been lurking for the past year (along at Reefcentral) for research. I need to post something to remove my restrction so here it is:

In response to your question, I hesitatingly setup my 75 gallon on top of real hardwood floors b/c it was the only room in the new house it would work (and we didn't want to redo the flooring). Several people at Lowes told me that adding a liner between hardwood and the tank, would end up doing more harm than good. Their rationale is water will find its way in between and wouldn't evaporate as easily as it would with no liner. I personally thought a thin laminate or rubber mat would be better, but decided to proceed without a liner.

One year later, I've learned that as long as you wipe up in a timely manner you can make it work on wood - so laminate wood should be even easier.

One year later, I've learned that as long as you wipe up in a timely manner you can make it work on wood - so laminate wood should be even easier.

Laminate is actually worse. Real wood can be sanded and refinished, but what they don't tell you is that the seams in laminate are not protected. Water gets in them and swells, causing the floor to bow and warp. Most laminates do have a seam sealer that you can apply in an attempt to prevent this, but saltwater has a way of getting past most things like that. I know, it ruined my floor in my last house where I had pergo.

At the least I would apply the seam sealer, but I would add the rubber mat or a tray. Preferably clear, as you can see if water gets under it, but not sure what you would do other than move the tank if you saw water. The other thing to think about is once you get saltwater there the water will evaporate leaving the salt behind. Which, you guessed it, attracts more water.

Well... I'm just going to use a hoist from the ceiling and let the tank hover about an inch off the floor, ensuring good air circulation to evaporate the water.

But for real, I think I'll go with nothing between the stand and the floor. I don't really see a clear solution in either event, but I guess if I know I have some water down the I can try and run a shop vac to try and suck up the moisture. Thanks for all your input.

IMHO, no liner is best! i'd even go as far as adding little rubber spacers (or even just shims) at key points to lift it a bit (you can also get the tank properly leveled this way). You can then extend some quarter-round off the wall's baseboard to cover the gap, knowing you have a gap in case you do have a spill, and can remove the trim and clean it out. My only concern w/ laminate is the constant weight on one spot, you might actually be compressing it, not an issue w/ real hardwood or engineered.