Test kits...what's your favorite?

Chad and Belinda

What do y'all think is the most accurate text kits available? I'm especially interested in calcium and magnesium. I currently use Red Sea for those and Hanna for alkalinity and phosphates. I'm happy with them but figured I would ask. Our tank is a mix reef.

Red Sea for Magnesium and Iodine.

Hanna for Alk and Phosphates

API for calcium.

I don't like the Red Sea for Iodine, but I havn't tried any of the others. I like the Red Sea for magnesium, though. Its pretty easy.

I don't have any idea how accurate the API is for calcium. It's cheap and easy. But again, its the only one I've used. I may switch when I run out.

Salifert for Mg, Ca, Si, Cu

Hanna for P04, Alk

Red Sea pro for N03

Red Sea colors for Fe, I, K

API for Ph, N02, NH3

I don't really like the Red Sea colors but there aren't many Fe,I,K tests out there.

PH, Elos and API

Alkalinity, API

Nitrate, high range, API

Nitrate, low range, Red Sea

P04, high range, API

p04, low range, Elos

Magnesium, Red Sea

Calcium, API

Ammonia, nitrite, iron and potasium I don't test for.

What do y'all think is the most accurate text kits available? I'm especially interested in calcium and magnesium. I currently use Red Sea for those and Hanna for alkalinity and phosphates. I'm happy with them but figured I would ask. Our tank is a mix reef.

Same

I have not used API kits, but I can tell you the Hanna alk meter is very easy to use and it has the reputation of being accurate. Since I've been using it every day I've seen 100% improvement in the health of my corals.

Looks like not too many pros here use api for cal and alk. Is that because of accuracy concern or the titration is harder to do?

Actually I think they're fine for both. Those are the only 2 API test kits I will use at all anymore. I gathered about 10 of them over the years and they typically read roughly the same as my salifert kits.

I use API for Nitrate and Calcium. Hanna for Alk. That's all I test for.

I haven't found the API Calcium test to be any less reliable than the Salifer and so I can't justify the price. Hanna Calcium kits are supposedly wonky and so I haven't used them. The Hanna Alk kit is absolutely necessary and you can get them pretty cheap on amazon. I sometimes test for Nitrate if I see a change in algae growth, since PO4 tests are notoriously unreliable.

I don't test for Mg, Potassium, Iodine, Iron, Strontium, or ORP because I don't dose them and/or they get replenished by water changes.

I don't test for pH, Ammonia or Nitrites in a cycled reef because I don't believe there is any reason.

I honestly prefer the Red Sea Pro test kits for just about everything. I use a Hanna low range PPB Phosphorous checker, but otherwise I prefer the red sea tests. Alot of folks voting on the hanna alk checker. I haven't used it, but having the hanna phos. checker, I can say I'd strongly prefer the Red Sea Pro alk test, simply based on ease of use. I check alk every 3-4 days, and it's a MUCH faster process than using a hanna checker. Those are so sensitive and you have to be so meticulous with how you clean the glass and how many minutes it takes to dissolve the reagent, I can have the RSP alk test bought out, test performed, cleaned, put away, and logged, before the reagent has even dissolved for a hanna test. And considering how my testing regiment is in the morning before work, I'm usually in a really big hurry so I don't have time to mess with the hanna checker and cleaning involved.

I've used salifert alk, ca, and mg tests, they're ok. numbers seem as steady as the RSP tests, but they dont offer reagent refills and the overall setup isn't quite as robust. I love the RSP cases, bottles, and what not. As long as you perform your tests observing proper lab procedures and can reproduce their conditions every time, you'll generally find them all to be within margin of error for our purposes

As in, the way you perform the test and clean your equipment will have a more noticeable impact on your consistency and accuracy of test results, than the specific brand itself. They all use similar ingredients

Edited by Bpb

Hanna alk uses liquid reagent. Compared to hanna phosphate it is night and day easier to use. It is the fastest, easiest test I do in my whole testing regimen, except for salinity.

• Like 1

That's interesting to know. I was unaware of that. My niavity is showing. What is the read time on it? Still the full 3 minutes?

Its almost instantaneous. I doubt if it takes me 3 minutes from when I open the case to when I'm done.