Newly Upgraded Tank Issue

tennisjad3

So I just upgraded from my 20 gallon that had been running for 2 years to a 29 gallon. I used all the same live rock but got completely new live sand. I also added this product called Fritz Zyme Live Nitrifying Bacteria. As of now the tank is a cloudy mess, which I expected using new sand, but also all of rock/corals are covered in this gross slime coating. Is that the Fritz Zyme working its magic or should I be concered?

I'm not running my skimmer, but if anyone has used this product how long should I expect my tank to look nasty for?

Hello! I just did the same thing. I moved my 10 to a 20L and it's cloudy and some corals are giving off some slime. It is normal from my experience and it's them showing they are stressed out. I did not use any additives during my move today so I don't think it has to do with the bacteria you added.

Hello! I just did the same thing. I moved my 10 to a 20L and it's cloudy and some corals are giving off some slime. It is normal from my experience and it's them showing they are stressed out. I did not use any additives during my move today so I don't think it has to do with the bacteria you added.

The slime is all over my live rock and walls and everything though. Even my snails on the tank wall are absolutely covered in this fuzzy slime. Maybe I shouldnt have used extra product

Sounds like a bacterial bloom and you're doing the right thing by turning on the skimmer to skim it all out. The skimmer will help with oxygenating the water as well since the biggest danger of a bacterial bloom is the reduction of available oxygen in the water that can lead to suffocation of your fish and livestock.

I have used the same bacteria in 4 tanks so far and I have never had a problem with it. In fact it has been awesome. Did you follow the directions exactly and did you make sure the product wasn't expired. New sand will make the water cloudy as well as the bacteria but it should clear up. Skimming will pull the new bacteria out as Ty suggested but you will lose the benefit of the product. If you have way too much bacteria use the skimmer to pull some out

I have used the same bacteria in 4 tanks so far and I have never had a problem with it. In fact it has been awesome. Did you follow the directions exactly and did you make sure the product wasn't expired. New sand will make the water cloudy as well as the bacteria but it should clear up. Skimming will pull the new bacteria out as Ty suggested but you will lose the benefit of the product. If you have way too much bacteria use the skimmer to pull some out

I used the half dose because I figured it counted as an established tank, the rocks all just seem covered in this gross gooey, dusty stuff. I assume the dust is from when the new sand settled down, but I'm not sure what the slime coating under the dust layer is. Corals seemed a little happier today which is a big plus.

How long did you leave your skimmer off for/ did you add livestock along with the product?

Is the sand super fine? My sand was like powdered sugar and left a coat of weirdness on everything after it settled and im sure some beginnings of algae and other gross proteins and organics get stuck in that layer of grody and make it more.. Gross lol

Is the sand super fine? My sand was like powdered sugar and left a coat of weirdness on everything after it settled and im sure some beginnings of algae and other gross proteins and organics get stuck in that layer of grody and make it more.. Gross lol

I think that might be it because when I got back today the tank looks MUCH better. I'll just have to vaccum the sand really well when I do a water change.

Thank you so much everyone for the help, I'm loving this forum already!