RODI hookup

KimP

I was wondering if anyone could share how they have their RODI hooked up to the washing machine supply? That's how I've done it for years. A couple days ago I decided to let the asv do what it does, and shut the water off for me since I was busy (i generally don't trust it). It worked as it should but after a few hours, the connection at the water source blew off and ended up flooding a large area. I went and bought all the same parts to replace the part that blew out (it was the John guest fitting), but thought maybe I just don't have it hooked up right? Not sure why it couldn't handle the pressure. So, those of you that use the washer supply, how do you have it hooked up?

I currently have my source for my RO/DI coming off my cold water washer supply. I have a Y valve (both sides can be shut off interdependently), then a threaded hose connection to John guest fitting 1/4 tubing. I have a 1/4 coupling just to give me some flexibility, then a 1/4 on/off value, then it feeds my pressure gauge, and then into my first stage.

Now I do not usually leave the supply on for very long after my 55g barrel is full. I usually flip the 1/4 on/off value. That being said there have been a number of times I let it run over night, and no issue. Not sure that helps.

I currently have my source for my RO/DI coming off my cold water washer supply. I have a Y valve (both sides can be shut off interdependently), then a threaded hose connection to John guest fitting 1/4 tubing. I have a 1/4 coupling just to give me some flexibility, then a 1/4 on/off value, then it feeds my pressure gauge, and then into my first stage.

Now I do not usually leave the supply on for very long after my 55g barrel is full. I usually flip the 1/4 on/off value. That being said there have been a number of times I let it run over night, and no issue. Not sure that helps.

Can you post a picture if you get a chance?

I also have super, super high water pressure. I use a dual hose valve like this (except without valves):

j8XEp0X.jpg

and then I threaded on this:

I1jq3tv.jpg

I used a TON of pipe dope

YpNKLw1.jpg

on the plastic to metal interface and and teflon tape on the metal connections.

^ Exact same setup here, but I just used a ton of teflon tape. I then have my ro tubing going through the wall into the garage. I have septic so my drain line goes through the attic and connects into my AC unit's condensing drain.

I will say that some of the plastic threaded faucet to RO line adapters are really poor quality. I've broken 2 or 3 just trying to hand tighten them.

I also have super, super high water pressure. I use a dual hose valve like this (except without valves):

j8XEp0X.jpg

and then I threaded on this:

I1jq3tv.jpg

I used a TON of pipe dope

YpNKLw1.jpg

on the plastic to metal interface and and teflon tape on the metal connections.

Where did you get the plastic connector? The Y I use for the washer connection is exactly like you have in the first photo, but I haven't seen that black plastic part before.

No pics handy, but I think I have the exact Y that victory posted. The threaded hose to 1/4 tubing connection I have is old, but was provided by my RO/DI system maker 13+ years ago, and meant exactly got this. I also go through a wall into my garage with the 1/4" tubing as jestep indicated. I can take some pics tonight if you want.

here's one

I've only had the one, and it's been fine for me. But I may not be as brutishly manly as jestep tongue.png

I use a brass one similar to the one you can see on Victoly's link. It's labeled 'garden hose adapter' but it works fine on the tee fittings. Never had any problems with it. Got mine from buckeye hydro:

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/feedwater-fittings/

They call it a 'hose bib adapter'

here's one

I've only had the one, and it's been fine for me. But I may not be as brutishly manly as jestep tongue.png

I use a brass one similar to the one you can see on Victoly's link. It's labeled 'garden hose adapter' but it works fine on the tee fittings. Never had any problems with it. Got mine from buckeye hydro:

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/feedwater-fittings/

They call it a 'hose bib adapter'

That looks even better than the all plastic, I'll order one of those, thanks!

Kim I've had similar problems due to the extremely high water pressure in south austin. I would recommend you turn it off at the brass y when not in use

I always have, except this time. The first time I let the asv stop it for me, the connection to the water supply busted. Lesson learned!

So I know people have under-sink RO systems that are always on. I wonder what they use that can hold the pressure all day, every day? I'm guessing it's not a John guest fitting at the water supply?

I have the same setup Kim. The part that I've had fail is the Y diverter, not the adapter. Mine tends to build up with calcium on the inside even though we have a water softener. I now replace that part each year whether it appears to need it or not.

• Like 1

I use the same garden hose Y adaptor as everyone else, except I use my actual garden hose spigot, and run the water line through a tiny gap on the floor where the garage door closes, along the wall and to the RODI filter which is mounted onto my work bench.

The feed and waste lines are long (20+ feet, but it enables me to have the RODI stationary and not inside, and if for some reason I forget to shut it off, the water just trickes down the driveway rather than flooding the house. I also can't leave the Y adaptor pressurized. I have to turn off the main water nozzle. If I close both forks on the Y, but leave the hose water on, it starts spraying out from the screw on connections.

I never have trusted auto shutoff valves and stuff. I turn on when needed and turn off when finished, plus auto shutoff valves make it hard to take advantage of membrane flush kits which I'm a big supporter of

Kim I've had similar problems due to the extremely high water pressure in south austin. I would recommend you turn it off at the brass y when not in use

Wow how much pressure do you have coming out of that hookup?

... I turn on when needed and turn off when finished, plus auto shutoff valves make it hard to take advantage of membrane flush kits which I'm a big supporter of

I actually agree with this, the reason I have the asv is to ensure I do not accidentally overfill my container, it has happened to me early on. So I use, but turn off my feed line when no in use.

Wow how much pressure do you have coming out of that hookup?

I measured my hose spigot once, and it was like 80-90 PSI. It's so high that I toyed with getting a whole house pressure regulator installed (when you turn on an exterior hose it sounds like a rocket launching, which wakes up babies, which gets me yelled at). But then I was like, wait, this is great for my RODI! And thus, no regulator.

We're about a quarter mile from a water tower and measure 90#+ as well. I get better than 1:1 with a booster pump on a 200GPD system, but tend to get chloramine carryover.

Bad thing about super high pressure is how much water you can lose if there's any leaks. We had city of Austin out last year to help figure this one out which was only running for 15 minutes once or twice a week.

water-usage.png

• Like 2