Educate me on pH?

M6S1K3

I thought I understood pH but evidently I don't. I test my water weekly on the same day each week. I conduct water changes weekly on the same day each week....etc. my schedule is rigid and I stick to it. I have my fuge operating opposite my tank (light) with a 1.5 hr overlap to balance out. I do not over feed. I do not dose (yet) but I'm going to very soon. Just need to set my pumps up and figure out amount needed and such. All my levels are perfect weekly. Nitrites 0. Nitrates 0. Phosphate 0. Ammonia 0. Alk 196. Calcium between 376-430 ( depending on all in one supplementing or minor water changes with new sw, Red Sea mix). But my pH is always lower than Id like it. At 7.8 ish. I even buffer my RO to bring it up to level with the tank before topping off. Why is my pH always low every week when I test and how can I fix this?

And somewhat relative. If someone is willing to aid me in my dosing. Calculations and amount needed over what timeframe. I'd love the help (607-857-6634). I have two brs 1.1 mL/ minute pumps. I plan to 2 part dose but it scares me and confuses me alittle.

And in turn my KH. What do I do to keep it up. Dosing? It was around 190 and for the past two weeks it's down around 160.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ignore it. It's an extremely ambiguous measurement. Almost anything and everything will change it, even opening a window or turning on the AC can measurably alter it.

Just keep your other parameters stable and more or less ignore ph unless it's way down in the acidic range.

• Like 1

Ignore it. It's an extremely ambiguous measurement. Almost anything and everything will change it, even opening a window or turning on the AC can measurably alter it.

Just keep your other parameters stable and more or less ignore ph unless it's way down in the acidic range.

+1

Once you start dosing you will possibly see you ph become more stable possibly even climb. I have learned as stated above to not dwell on my ph unless it is way, way out whack.

As far as you dosing goes, go to reeftronics, they have a great calculator that has been pretty spot on for me, just make sure you have calibrated your dosers

Mad salt. That was something I forgot. How do I calibrate them. I know then have the screw to do so but exactly how I can't find. I've searched. And even emailed brs for a how to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only use Ph for two things. If I check it and it looks unrealistically low, in tandem with the temperature, when looking at them on my phone when I'm away from the house, that tells me my ato ran dry or stuck, and the water level dropped below the probe.

Second is I will glance at what I'm reading before performing an alk titration test. I only test if my ph reads in the same neighborhood every time (usually between 7.6-7.7 at its lowest point of the day after about 8 hours of dark. Since our alk tests are only ph reduction tests to derive a reading for carbonate and bicarbonate, it makes sense to test only when ph is the same or close to the last test, so you don't get folded with false highs or lows.