Quick Cure - Dry Live Rock

SChrisEV

I know, in this hobby there are very few things that can be done quick. I just got in some pukani dry live rock, and I'd like it ready to add to my new tank ASAP. I'm not expecting any beneficial bacteria to be ready anytime soon, but I do not want an ammonia spike. My existing live rock will handle the load while this new rock builds up the wanted bacteria.

Can I use muriatic acid to soak then a RO water soak to clean the rock? Will this work?

If not, any other ideas? I'm hoping to have it ready ASAP, but two weeks would be my outside "hope" for use.

Oh, also, I have a piece of rock that has GPS on it, I like the rock, but would like to get the GSP off of it. I'd be open to "killing" the rock if that is the only way, but again ideally would rather keep the beneficial bacteria.

I bought the same rock and all I did was put it in my new sump, add some saltwater, a circulation pump, and let it start curing. I pulled water from my old tank into the new sump. I also added a couple of "seeded" live rock from my old tank and laid them on the new rock to seed it.

I'd just dry the rock out and kill the GSP. Either that or take it to a LFS and trade them a rock of equal size for yours. I'm sure most would be glad to do that.

Awe that is a good idea, LFS! U SO SMART!

I bought the same rock and all I did was put it in my new sump, add some saltwater, a circulation pump, and let it start curing. I pulled water from my old tank into the new sump. I also added a couple of "seeded" live rock from my old tank and laid them on the new rock to seed it.

I know you did, I followed your lead based on our conversation. :) So you had no real spike? When you say in your new sump, I assume before it was on your system?? How long did it take before it was "ready". Couple pieces I got are way to big for my sump. :)

When i got my tank, it was a complete setup. The live rock had majano on it... A LOT. I did clean it with muriatic acid. I wouldn't do that if there isnt a very good reason though. There are lots of article on how to cure live rock. But if its dry, i dont see any reason to acid wash it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When i got my tank, it was a complete setup. The live rock had majano on it... A LOT. I did clean it with muriatic acid. I wouldn't do that if there isnt a very good reason though. There are lots of article on how to cure live rock. But if its dry, i dont see any reason to acid wash it.

There is just a good bit of "stuff" left on the rock, all dead but a bit worried about how it will affect the tank if placed in as is.

I know you did, I followed your lead based on our conversation. smile.png So you had no real spike? When you say in your new sump, I assume before it was on your system?? How long did it take before it was "ready". Couple pieces I got are way to big for my sump. smile.png

Oh yeah, I forgot we had that conversation. Sometimes I talk too much reef for my own good.

There definitely was a spike so I wouldn't recommend it in your current system. I left it for about a month but I wasn't in a rush. I think it was probably good around 2.5 weeks if I remember right.

One of the hindsight things that I think about when I upgraded was to not mess with the old system at all during the upgrade. If it's going good... don't mess with it. Upgrade entirely without touching your old system... especially if you're able to push it across the room. That way you don't compromise the health of the fish and coral prior to moving them.

There is just a good bit of "stuff" left on the rock, all dead but a bit worried about how it will affect the tank if placed in as is.

Consider it some extra material to produce ammonia so you can cycle the rock appropriately.

I'm open to tips! [emoji6]

Never cross the road without looking BOTH ways!! smile.png I still owe ya that beer, so I'll figure something out.

Great tip! doh.gif I should have said "Tipping is not a city in China" but my sense of humor apparently already went to sleep.

I did pukani in my pico and it caused a cycle without any additional ammonia. I scrubbed as much as I could but there was still some organic material on the rock before I put it in the tank. Not sure I would risk a soft cycle in an existing tank but you might be ok.

Pukani is pretty notorious for leaching PO4 and this is why many people do a soaking in muriatic acid to etch the surface down and remove the area of rock that accumulated the majority of Phosphates. As far as preventing a mini cycle, many people follow the 10% rule. IE Never add more than 10% of your current weight in dry rock at one time.

If it ere me I would do an acid wash and then pressure wash it and let it dry out well and then add only 10% at one time and wait awhile to add more. Or then soak in salt water with ammonia spiked to >5ppm and wait out the 6 - 8 weeks for it to cycle a bit. I am doing this now with rock for my new set up. I wouldn't get the cart ahead of the horse with this new set up and let your past work go south on you setting yourself up for a rough time on the new tank if you cut corners...but you already know that I am sure!!!

I'd just dry the rock out and kill the GSP. Either that or take it to a LFS and trade them a rock of equal size for yours. I'm sure most would be glad to do that.

Don't want to derail your thread, but did you happen to find a store that would do this trade? I have asked River City and Aquatek in the past and they both declined.

Don't want to derail your thread, but did you happen to find a store that would do this trade? I have asked River City and Aquatek in the past and they both declined.

I have not tried yep.