Working With Radions

madsalt

I am not sure if there is a thread specific to Radions so I thought I would start one.

I am looking for people that use Radions and what their experience has been, what their profile looks like and how they are setup on their tanks. I want people to share their experience with coral growth and what it took to get the Radions just right.

I know there may not be a lot of Radions users but hey I thought I would give this a shot.

I am running 3 Radion Gen2 lights on my 180 gallon. As of now I have not found a sweet spot that I am really happy with. I have had a lot of tweaks to my tank and the lights are the one that I just can't seem to find my happy place with.

My tank has two braces across it, creating 3 2 foot sections. Each light is setup so the lights run the length of the tank, with each covering a two foot section. I have not really found great success running these lights. Most of my SPS seems to bleach out and die and my LPS is so-so. My leathers and zoas seems to be doing really good but I imagine they could be doing better. I know these lights have the ability to do great things so lets see what they are doing for everyone else.

I have attached my most recent full tank shot with my lights and my current profile.

post-2485-0-60495700-1427564402_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-95557300-1427564428_thumb.jp

Mike, Sam has his set up as default but not sure at what intensity. Also Richard has his at 75% intensity for his 220 same as your tank size. My self, first I started at 60 then up to 85 intensity but then I recently back down to 75 because of color seems to be washed out. I createdy own profile and only run 8hrs, corals seem to respond better. I like the 18k but coral grow so slow, I changed to 14k now. My middle light is gen 2 along with 2 gen 3 both sides. I have 3 for my 220.

I really have nothing to add but I wanted to mention some important criterias to think about when comparing percentage levels is to also find out how high above the water/corals the fixtures are mounted and what predominantly is kept in the tanks.

• Like 1

I think they are 8-10" off the water. Majority of coral probably 16" underwater.

Just guesstimating.

Thanks I have mine about 8 inches off the water. Hopefully he will chime in hint hint madsalt --> poke.gif <-- SAMs so we can see what his color levels are, obviously he is doing something right.

Last time I was at SAMs I felt like his radions were 12"+ over the water. When he opened the canopy there looked like a ton of working room. I could definitely be wrong and maybe their small footprint created that illusion. You're right though he has sps end to end front to back. Not an empty spot. And the rock work is generally pretty flat with very little shady spots