Cool anemone action

MantaFan

My beautiful rainbow BTA split about 2 weeks ago. The two halves are separated but still close enough to bump tentacles. I fed a small piece of shrimp to the one on the right and they BOTH closed up to swallow it. I guess the nem on the left still got the message even though he didn't have anything to eat.

ESP? Telekinesis? Pheromones? WiFi?

How do it know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is very interesting indeed! I could only imagine what connection one would have with the other half of yourself!

My guess is just the physical response of touching is enough of a sign to start closing when you feel the neighboring tentacle close... whether it's actually connected still or not.

I think it's time for an experiment! See if you could reproduce the simultaneous eating response and if so, then physically separate them with a barrier and try it again. Then publish your results and become famous!

I doubt it has anything to do with telekinesis or anything like that. I never feed my BTAs (I have a large rose and a small green), but they always react when I dump food in the tank. I'm sure just the sudden influx of organic material into the water column triggers a response in the animals when they can sense food is nearby and they start automatically feeding. My anemones would open their mouths even when they didn't have any food in their tentacles.

Yeah I think I'll try this again next week and see what happens...

Is this the same BTA I sold you?

Yes Jimbo... Same one split already. One of my favorite animals in the tank! It's beautiful! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you got the good kid...the one I kept has been bad! about two weeks ago it decided it didn't like it's spot and it's been on the move ever since!!!! it's pretty much taken out my red monti. :-( luckily i've got a frag of it in case it doesn't come back.

• Like 1