Tank cleanliness?!

M6S1K3

I had a 55 gallon non-drilled tank and just upgraded to a 90 gallon drilled and I was hoping one positive would be no more algae or film on the top of the water. I don't get algae anymore but I have a clear-ish/see through white layer on the top of the water. First. What is this? ( I don't have a canopy). Is it dust, algae, something I should worry about? Second. How do I fix this?

To clarify. If I break the water line it separates the film. So it's somewhat solid.

Thanks for the help, Farley new to the reeding lifestyle but super into it and always love to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the level of the water in the overflow box. you want it about 1/2" below the wiers. If it's close to the water level in the tank then you're not breaking the tension that would pull the surface layer into the overflow.

Ok I'll try the power head thing. And the level of the water is roughly the same. Not much of a drop in level. How would I lower it? And no I don't dose yet.

Unfortunately I am not as of right now but I definitely should be ( I appreciate the replies and help). Is there another way to lower the overflow level without valves?

Ok. So if u look that drain pipe, does it have a bigger pipe sleeves over smaller pipe that connects to a bulkhead(that can be just to get desired water level in overflow box, to reduce water noise), or just 1 solid pipe( u can make it 1/2" short) to bring down water level.

And juiceman is right, u need to control a return or increase a better passage to drain, since u have 2 return that push water up faster than it drains...

Also depending on what type of drain setup Simple standpipe with stockman, durso, or other your water intake may be too high. Make sure the intake is at the level you want the water level in the overflow to be. The Durso pictured below will set the water level about 1/2 up on the T fixture not at the bottom of the elbow intake. and bell type intakes like the Maggie muffler will have the water come up ~1/4 of the bell. So normally most stand pipes are a little shorter than the desired water level in the overflow box.

post-3185-0-08017500-1426189222.png