What's with my rainbow monti?

Bpb

when I got it from Don Duncan, it had the classic rainbow monti look. Baby blue base, green polyps in the center, red and orange on the outside. Over the year as it has grown and encrusted...it has lost its blue base and red polyps. It now has a dark purple base and all green polyps. The PE is good, it's generally happy and fast growing. I don't care for the look though. So much to the point I consider selling the whole colony due to how dull it has become. Lighting is radiums on m80 ballasts. Should not be a limiting factor. It's in the top 1/2 of the tank

post-2651-0-62578500-1425855137_thumb.jp

1.026 salinity

Alk down to 7.0 (since the spike I contined to run the dosing pumps but cut the time in half and its gradually fallen, I'm keeping it in this neighborhood now as my forever target.

Calcium 420 ppm

Mg 1350

P 2 PPB

No3 1.5 ppm

I've got some red turf on the top sides of most rocks and a fast growing refugium. Ty, from your pics it is about the same amount you've got going. Rainbow monti has kind of always looked like this, even in the 55 gallon. Just never mentioned it. Kinda tired of it now since it's just green and huge. Not too appealing as opposed to the true rainbow color

Are you using the same bulbs Don Duncan used? Are you using any LED actinic lighting that has "UV" LEDs? LEDs with a "UV" component in the 405 - 420 range will strongly stimulate the production of green fluorescing proteins over red and orange fluorescing or chromo proteins.

Ty. That's a good idea. I think I'll try it.

Tim. Don was running Ai Sol blues containing only royal blue and cool white diodes. I'm running Radium MH bulbs which are approx a 20k color temp, in addition to a BML Super actinic strip which has several 405 nm diodes. While this combination does give some wicked green fluorescence, I have several red corals that fluoresce pretty bright as well under it. Namely the montipora setosa, lobophyllia sp, and several zoanthids.

• Like 1

Good to hear similar experience with similar lighting. I wonder if it's a par issue. There's not really a higher spot I can go to reasonably, but there is a more direct "under the bulb arc" spot. Thanks for the compliment. Sandbed corals have been good to me

Mines pretty high up, maybe 4-5" beneath the way. The only pieces higher are the acros on the very top of the tank. Unfortunately I had a pretty huge SPS bleaching/RTN/STN event of undetermined origins and have lost/losing most of my stuff. :(

Awe dude, that thing looks REALLY BAD! I would not want that in my tank if I was you!! I need a couple weeks, but I'll take it off your hands so you don't have to look at it any longer! I'm just THAT giving!