Biocube vs. Standard tank for beginner

kgtipton87

Hey everyone! I have never really had my own aquarium and am very interested in doing a saltwater tank mainly for corals, definitely clown fish plus a few other fish and invertebrates. I have been reading to start with nothing smaller than a 30 gal range so I am considering the 29 gal bio cube and modifying it the way ReefThuz did on YouTube. Just wondering if this would be the best setup for a beginner vs a traditional tank and buying all the pieces separately. Also, do you guys think the cube would be a better value vs buying everything separate?

I think if you part and piece your tank together, it'll be cheaper than the biocube, it just won't look ad nice as an all in one (AIO).

But I do agree it is a great first tank to start with and lots of modifications are already tried and true for it already. If you can find a used one, that would be ideal.

Biocube is good if you don't mind the limitations. The most common is wanting to modify the lights to something stronger or more controllable. The second most common is wanting to add a sump. If you're okay with it as stock then it's a pretty easy plug and play setup. If you're looking to customize then you may want to piece together a system.

I agree. I started with a biocube and have been reasonably successful, but I think that there are a lot of limitations to not having a sump. Including having to choose between types of filtration and media due to space. Another important consideration is size. One of the most frustrating things about the hobby, for me so far, is keeping water parameters in line, which is increasingly difficult the smaller you go. The biggest biocube is 29g, but after live rock, media rack, internal pumps, sand, etc., you have a relatively small amount of water which means as water evaporates or small changes make big changes to the parameters. Not that it is not possible! There are plenty of people people with far smaller tanks who have major success, but that is either because of crazy automation (read very expensive) or incredible husbandry (read huge time commitment). All that said, I wish I would have started with a minimum of a 55g with a 30g sump. Grass is always greener though :)

• Like 1

+1 to what Mike said.

What you have to consider is what kind of corals that you want to keep. A Biocube is not designed to keep Acropora or other high light and/or sensitive corals. It's not designed to run super clean or be very efficient. It's designed to look good. If all you want to do is keep two clownfish and an anemone or a shrimp then a Biocube will work for you long term and it will be the least amount of work. If you think that you might want to upgrade, add a skimmer, start keeping hard corals or anything like that, then you should build your own system.

Petco has a sale every few months for $1 per gallon. A 40g breeder plus an overflow from www.glassholes.com will cost you around $60-70. The cost of the plumbing, plus a skimmer and some pumps will still put you under $200. Add a nice LED and that will put you at or slightly above the cost of a Biocube and you'll have a bigger tank that you can grow into.

then there is a third view:

the BC 29 is a PERFECT starter tank. but the key word is starter! you'll learn the ropes with this system and find it's faults relativly quickly. However, you'll also be left with a perfect QT/frag tank when you upgrade!

I have my BC 29 still up and running. It's been up and running 95% of the time since I got it in one form or another and though I have had offers on it I can't bring myself to let it go. Every time I think I might break it down something happens and I am glad it's up, running, and cycled! I also use it as a place to store dirty water corals like Zoas and shrooms who aren't doing or acclimating well in my low nutrient larger tank (so there is quite a few in there now since the big tank is fallow and not being fed!)

It's just a super little tank! the draw backs listed above are valid, so for example I am thinking about adding a sump...but I'd bet I don't end up doing it because it is just perfect for what it's being used for at the moment.

Now, if you're on a tight budget....go big from the begining; take your time, don't cut corners on equipment! But, there is no doubt a sump trumps an AIO...thus red sea is incorporating them into thier larger models as well as the reef edition, but don't forget that there are very few hard and fast rules in this hobby. Take a look at Victoly's tank. He does just about everything that "can't" be done with a cube.

I'm going to disagree with Sasha. Both Victoly and I have been extremely successful in keeping multiple acros in our small tanks. You just have to be absolutely diligent about water parameters because they can change fast in a small tank. There is no slacking off or breaks or I don't feel like testing this week. Yes you have to add a skimmer but a tunze 9002 with an InTank collection cup is cheap.

The biggest limitation to a BC or Solona or other equally sized AIO is the fish selection and quantity. You can pretty much have 4 or 5 nano fish before your over stocked. Overall I love the smaller systems. There is almost no problem that can't be solved with a 5 gallon water change.

I agree with the statement.

However there is absolutely nothing wrong with a tunze 9002 skimmer. They are inexpensive because they are designed for BC and small systems. They are small and have a small pump.

What experience do you have with tunze 9002 skimmers. Have you ever actually ran one on a BC or similarly sized system.

I know Victoly and I both have. Are there better skimmers out there. Sure. Are they twice the dollars. Sure. Are they twice the skimmer performance. No.

Haha Reburn never agrees with me!

A rusty sword in the hands of a veteran soldier is much more deadly than a lazer sword in the hands of a street thug.

I wrote my last statement before I read your reply about the skimmer. I have no experience with it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

I don't disagee with you on purpose.

there are some guidelines that should be followed but there are multiple ways to make a reef tank successful. We just seem to have very different methodologies.

there are some guidelines that should be followed but there are multiple ways to make a reef tank successful. We just seem to have very different methodologies.

Exactly! Thus, there is no correct answer to the question posed by the OP. Every tank I've had has been "sucsessfull". but they have all had isues. Even my 90 which should be stable when compared to my BC still presents issues tat were unexpected. I think the real key is to have a clear vision of your long term goals and wants. Thinking that anything is permanent in this hobby is lying to yourself.

I have an AIO 18 gallon tank that has been running for 2 years and I have everything except acropora. I have no problems with Montis, LPS, or soft coral. I had a few acros for about 6 months but lost them because the temp swings in that small of tank. I agree with the others that you can get equipment to do the work or do it yourself, but the work has to get done. On the plus side with a small tank weekly water chages will likely meet most of your supplement and export needs.

I love my Reef Octopus T60, it's got an external sump and its about the same size as a biocube. The new SC combos are pretty nice too, I've heard. I am keeping acros in my T60, and second what Reburn said: you have to work consistently and diligently but it can be done. Lighting is also critical, as some have mentioned above.

Have heard pretty good reviews of this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Starfire-Aquariums-Complete-Package-24x24x20/dp/B00HY5PD56

All you need to add to that one is a light, and I believe there is a nice Kessil A360WE with spectral controller for sale on ARC right now .... Reefbreeders Photon would be good too I'll bet

I will add that if you want to keep acros, then a controller like an apex or reef angel is pretty much essential for this size tank.