To flip the sump or not to flip the sump?

Juiceman

I'm thinking that my current setup is counter productive.

Currently my overflows flour into the left side of the sump which is filled with LR, the goes through a baffle into the next section where my skimmer and bio pellets are, then through a foam filter and to the return pumps.

I'm running into issues with the skimmer overflowing because of the water level on the right side being inconsistent and possible detritus build up in the LR portion since its prior to filtration.

Thinking about moving the skimmer and bio pellets to the left side and the Live Rock to the right.

Thoughts?!post-1783-142473965235_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say switch it... even leave some rocks in with the skimmer chamber and run the chaeto and whatever other rocks in the 2nd.

You'll probably need a stand for the skimmer but at least from this point on, stable water line for the skimmer so you don't have to deal with overflows anymore.

its not a good switch, since u have inconsistent water lever in uptream chamber affects a next one to cause problem.

i would making sure water level for skimmer is right level, if level is high could cause skimmer skim too wet and over flow...

The inconsistent chamber is the one it's in now. The previous is the consistent one.

I'd say switch it... even leave some rocks in with the skimmer chamber and run the chaeto and whatever other rocks in the 2nd.

You'll probably need a stand for the skimmer but at least from this point on, stable water line for the skimmer so you don't have to deal with overflows anymore.

It's on a stand already! I'd need a taller stand

I like both filtration styles that you mention and I've used them both. A fluctuation in your chamber two means that the baffle isn't sealed in between chamber two and three. Some people say that having your skimmer in chamber one makes it more effective. I haven't noticed a difference unless you have a very slow turnover rate.

Skimmer -> Refugium -> Return

This style is known as the Berlin Style sump and is the most popular of the three-chamber sumps. The idea is that the dirtiest water feeds the skimmer and other equipment in the first chamber. Detrius doesn't always end up in the skimmer so you have to run a sock or other mechanical filtration with this style. The first chamber is the most turbulent and has to be followed by a bubble trap to keep the refugium chamber is very calm. The divider between chambers two and three doesn't need a bubble trap and can be a single wall. Chamber three is the only chamber that should go down when the water level drops.

Live Rock / Refugium -> Skimmer -> Return

This style is referred to as a live rock filter.The idea is that the return water will filter out the large particles and feed the refugium. The live rock and macroalgae break up the bubbles before it gets to the equipment section. A refugium CUC is used to dispose of the material that collects in the first chamber. The second chamber should be pretty clean, but sometimes needs to be siphoned out. In this layout the divider between chamber one and two can be very high giving you more refugium space. The bubble trap is between chamber two and three to remove the bubbles from the skimmer. Again, chamber three is the only chamber that should fluctuate.

Skimmer -> Return <- Refugium

This is a style that I've seen at Melv's Reef. This layout splits the return between chamber one and three giving both sections the dirty water from the display. A gate valve is used to reduce the flow to the refugium and the rest goes to the skimmer section. The refugium section can be very tall and doesn't require a bubble trap because the low flow doesn't cause any splashing. The bubble trap has to be in between chamber one and two. Chambers one and three will remain constant and chamber two will fluctuate when the water evaporates.

What are you going to do with all that space in the 1st chamber now? I say throw the rock in there with the equipment and just have the chaeto in the 2nd chamber. That is if you're still running chaeto.

Btw, the hands in the reflection creep me out. 1) Because I'm thoroughly confused how you took that picture with both hands down and 2) because they blend in so well that they look like they are actually in the tank... [emoji15]

Glad you got the sump the way you want it now and I'm sure your skimmer thanks you.

I may not put cheato back in. I haven't decided yet. It constantly got stuck on the inlet of the pumps, and clogging the filter pad.

There was an insane amount of detrius underneath all that rock and cheato. Took me a very long time to siphon it all out.

I used a maxi jet with a tube leading to a crown royal back zip tied to the end, and let the bag collect all the detrius and put the water back in the tank. Worked great, just took a while.

I am planning on removing my chaeto myself to reclaim my sump space for a designated frag system underneath.

While nice for a refugium media, it made very little impact on nutrient levels in the tank mainly just from the shear lack of size. One ball of chaeto the size of a turkey isn't going to do much against the ample feedings my 20-odd fish are going to require in a 215-gal tank. If I had like a 400-gallon sump full of chaeto, then possibly so.

Just a thought, why don't you do the same? Move a bunch of live rock to the skimmer chamber and put an eggcrate stand over the other rock in the 2nd chamber, throw a light over it, and start moving some frags into it. Just a thought.

I am planning on removing my chaeto myself to reclaim my sump space for a designated frag system underneath.

While nice for a refugium media, it made very little impact on nutrient levels in the tank mainly just from the shear lack of size. One ball of chaeto the size of a turkey isn't going to do much against the ample feedings my 20-odd fish are going to require in a 215-gal tank. If I had like a 400-gallon sump full of chaeto, then possibly so.

Just a thought, why don't you do the same? Move a bunch of live rock to the skimmer chamber and put an eggcrate stand over the other rock in the 2nd chamber, throw a light over it, and start moving some frags into it. Just a thought.

Definitely doable. I don't really have a need for it at the moment, but I already have a single BML Strip under there, so it would be an easy transition

• Like 1