overflow plumbing help

something to reef on

First time setting up a tank with an overflow. It's a 100 gal with two corner overflows, each has two holes drilled in bottom.

My thoughts are to put one durso type drain in each corner overflow, use one as a return, and setup one as an emergency drain. I am going to try to run about 800 gph through this. I beleive they are all 1 inch drains, I have not measured yet.

Is this an okay plan? I plan to plumb each drain independently to the sump, not tie them together.

Thanks

It's most likely made for 1 drain and 1 return per overflow but you can configure however you want.

No problem running separate drain lines. This is preferable IMO. I would use a multi sock holder and run each of them into its own sock if you are planning on a berlin style sump. If one of the drains is just for emergency, don't worry about a sock holder for it.

As far as flow rate, I always find it easiest to get a reasonably sized pump and use a valve on the output to adjust the flow rate until you find an acceptable flow/noise. Hard to say whether 800 is too much for a quiet system, but I would imagine it should be fairly close to that. I think I am running about 350 through a single 1" durso on my 90.

If you're looking for a pump, the eheim compact and eheim hobby pumps are super reliable and about as quet as submersible pumps get IMO. I use a compact 3000 on mine, but it's mostly throttled down.

• Like 1

Perhaps use the two drilled holes for the herbie and then just run the return flow behind the tank and over the back of the glass?

Yip that's what I did... I fought the idea of a return line over the back of the tank, but now that it's setup it's SO worth the one time trouble to get it done right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have it dialed in now and rarely touch it. I'll peek at the emergency drain line to make sure it's trickling like I want, but I seldom adjust it.

I actually have dual overflows so I have two siphons and two emergency drains. It took a little tweaking to get them in sync, but now that they are its bulletproof.

I'm in Lakeway if you ever want to stop by to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk