Removing palys without killing myself or tank

KimP

I have a cerameco frag rack I'd really like to keep but it got some fairy dust palys on it and of course they are quickly taking over. I need to get them all off before they get on my aquascaping. I can easily remove the rack but am undecided on how to safely remove them and be able to put the rack back in the tank. Thinking of boiling them off.

Just kidding, just kidding!!!! ;) Other ideas?

• Like 1

What ludakris said. Scrape under them with a razor. Then 10% peroxide soak the rack for a couple hours. If you need help let me know. Fairy dust palys on a frag rack is easy. If it was green buttons on your rock that would be a different story.

• Like 2

The peroxide soak is what I missed to do when I scraped some texas trash palys off my overflow box. I took the overflow box out, did the scraping, rinsed with water, put back in the tank. Next day, most fish dead :(

So yes, rinse, soak, maybe dry?

The peroxide soak is what I missed to do when I scraped some texas trash palys off my overflow box. I took the overflow box out, did the scraping, rinsed with water, put back in the tank. Next day, most fish dead :(

What happened in your tank is what I've had in mind when trying to figure out what to do.

• Like 1

The peroxide soak is what I missed to do when I scraped some texas trash palys off my overflow box. I took the overflow box out, did the scraping, rinsed with water, put back in the tank. Next day, most fish dead sad.png

What happened in your tank is what I've had in mind when trying to figure out what to do.

Texas Trash Paly could refer to any number of polyps. I think I saw someone reference up to 17 that people call this name. Some of them are poisonous and some are not. I had a brown polyp with a blue face that I scraped off in the tank and nothing happened. Being safe is always better than being sorry. I would follow the others advice and remove the rack, scrape them off, and then sanitize the rack. After removing the polyps, soak it in peroxide or bleach and then let it completely try for a week.

• Like 2

The peroxide soak is what I missed to do when I scraped some texas trash palys off my overflow box. I took the overflow box out, did the scraping, rinsed with water, put back in the tank. Next day, most fish dead sad.png

Texas Trash Paly could refer to any number of polyps. I think I saw someone reference up to 17 that people call this name. Some of them are poisonous and some are not. I had a brown polyp with a blue face that I scraped off in the tank and nothing happened. Being safe is always better than being sorry. I would follow the others advice and remove the rack, scrape them off, and then sanitize the rack. After removing the polyps, soak it in peroxide or bleach and then let it completely try for a week.

I have these same brown polyp blue face palys that are on a rock under my blue Enchinada and I just scrap them off every so often in the tank as removing the rock is impossible and no ill affects. Cant get a vacuum line to them to scrap and suck out so whats a reef-oncologist to do? These things grow like a cancer.

I think it's a funny concept but I actually keep a very aggressive LPS in my tank in the far corner by itself. The only reason it resides in my tank is for when I need to kill something off, I put the LPS by it and slowly over the course of weeks, it'll slowly sting whatever I don't want to grow to death.

I used to use my hydnophora for that but sadly sold it all off. That thing not just stung the coral like my LPS would, but would actually ingest it! It would release these filaments all over the nearby coral and literally ingest it and use it for food reserves.

• Like 2

Perhaps try using chlorine bleach when you soak the tray after scraping them? The Army uses chlorine bleach to decontaminate vehicles and equipment that have been exposed to chemical and biological agents. Chlorine breaks down pretty quickly in the air so as long as you let it air dry afterwards the tray should be fine to put back in the tank.

• Like 1

I do the same thing. I try and keep my polyps on rocks that don't touch anything else to prevent the spread of the corals past the perimeter that I want. I allow some polyps to grow on the main rock structures so that I don't see too much live rock. I place acans and favites on the outskirts of where I want the polyp colonies to stop.

• Like 1

Forgive my naivety, but why wouldn't you want to boil them off?

I have a cerameco frag rack I'd really like to keep but it got some fairy dust palys on it and of course they are quickly taking over. I need to get them all off before they get on my aquascaping. I can easily remove the rack but am undecided on how to safely remove them and be able to put the rack back in the tank. Thinking of boiling them off.

Just kidding, just kidding!!!! wink.png Other ideas?

Forgive my naivety, but why wouldn't you want to boil them off?

Just kidding, just kidding!!!! wink.png Other ideas?

There are some threads on reef central where people nearly died in the hospital after boiling rocks with zoas/palys on them. Very scary stuff.

• Like 1