Green Hair Algae

Cameronbherring

I agree with Jim. I run my lights from 10 to 9pm as well. About four months ago I tried to lengthen the time the lights were on so that I could view the fish later on the weekends. Adding just two hours increased the amount of algae three fold.

It's been a busy week, why don't we get tagged in posts like on facebook??

Saacha, Jim, and Timfish are on point as always and provide good advice, as well as Ty of course.

and Rjohn provides a solution as well, though I've not had experience with it being a permanent one.

As for Turf scrubbers, I haven't run one on a non-drilled tank. The issue being flow through them is variable dependant upon how much algea has accumulated. Of course, the more aglea the less flow, which is easier controlled with a ball valve in the sump.

I have seen them run in buckets, but I wouldn't trust a siphon is the bottom line.

Now, a surge box turf scrubber is really the most effective and can be set up above the tank so accidental over flow chances are reduced down to workable.

There is also an upflow scrubber which is probably the least effective, but still better than a HOB filter without a doubt.

IMO ATS's are hands down the cheapest, most effective, multi-purpose filter out there; Go to the coast and walk the jetties and look at mother nature growing and killing algea every day...the "skim" along the beach pales in comparision in volume and nutrient export. But there in lies the catch....it's up to you either way to physically remove the nutrient!

Everything listed in this thread is effective to some degree, and has draw backs to some degree.

My advice then becomes: cut back feeding and any other nutrient IMPORT as low as you can, and start changing water. In the meantime research the many differences between mech, physical, and natural EXPORTtation (also called GROWTH). Then decide which method suits you, develop an equipment list, impliment, and most importantly stick with it! (hint: lighting and light spectrum has as much to do with algea growth as it does coral growth{if not even more!})

Feel free to message me with any direct questions about turf scrubbers....my 90 has never had anything but a carbon filter and a 10X10 down drip scrubber in a 40 gallon three chamber sump.

Edited by nvrEnuf
  • Like 2

I've read that the Lettuce Nudibranch was useful in chomping down on GHA. Has anyone had any luck using this critter for algae control.

I'm having a similar problem. Nitrates finally bottomed out, I've added an Urchin to help, but he seemed disinterested. I've got a Dove conch on the way. Plenty of Snails (no turbos, they're just too big) and a couple of Hermits and Emerald Crabs.

Lettuce Nudibranch will eat the green hair algae, but they are sensitive to water conditions. They are also known to starve to death easily once the algae is gone. You would have to make sure the problem is solved before the nudibranch dies or else the algae comes back.

+1 to everything Sasha said about lettuce slugs. There are a lot of people that claim that they don't even really eat hair algae but mainly bryopsis. I picked up 2 several days ago. They seem to be eating some of my hair algae. But like Sasha said they don't have a stomach so they will starve to death quickly once their food source is exhausted. I have read that when they die they will generate a massive ammonia spike as well. At first glace I like the 2 I got. They will be short lived in my aquarium as I don't have enough for them to eat long term. I already have a place to go with them when the algae gets under control. I have already remedied the problem that had the algae growing in the first place so they are just taking care of the residual stuff. They also don't do well in high flow and will get sucked into powerheads easily and you wil find pieces of slug everywhere. Covering your power heads is a must if your rocking high flow. I had to cover my power heads and turn them way down. I can't say that they are anymore effective then turbo snails I just wanted to try something different.