Green Hair Algae

Cameronbherring

Ok. Hair algae has been taking over my tank. Some is growing over my coral which I have tried to remove once I see it. I have been busy with school and basketball but I still usually have time to clean the skimmer every other day and everything else. But how can I rid of the algae? I'm currently running a HOB octopus skimmer and have a sump but the sump is so small and I can't use it. I've been doing 25g water changes every 2 weeks. Is adding a BRS dual reactor going to help? If I get that im going to use carbon and gfo. Or gfo and phosguard. I feed every other day but sometimes every day. Anyone have any ideas? Will a dual reactor help? How can I make use of my small sump? Thanks for our help :)0a51c12b487fe42f324b0f133f48c07c.jpga67859e528f383e97282a52305181fd8.jpg2b8ad59fb089b7aafe34bcfe78d3f6f0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A little algae scrubber goes a long way. Hopefully nvrEnuf chimes in on his experience.

I'd honestly toss the ceramic media and trickle filter. It's so efficient at converting ammonia/nitrites to nitrate that you will have excess nitrates in your system. That is the epitome of a nitrate factory right there.

The reactors with carbon and GFO should help with organics and phosphates, respectively, but you will still have excess nitrates to deal with. You can remove nitrates through water changes, a deep sand band, a Ceramico block in a low flow environment, macro algae, turf scrubber, or carbon dosing.

You may be able to modify the trickle portion for the turf scrubber. I'd do some research into turf scrubbers and see if you can "engineer" it to work. You may want to reach out to NvrEnuf and pick his brain about them. He's had great success with them.

I'm going to throw my two cents in here and suggest a Sea Hare to help manage the algae until you implement a permanent solution.

I had a hair algae problem and the Sea Hare was awesome, a hair algae eating machine. Remember the Sea Hare is only part of the over all solution. You will have to remove it after you get your hair algae under control.

• Like 1

What kind of sea hare did you have? I Only have 10-15 hermits and a turbo snail right now. I do need a larger clean up crew for sure. My foxface won't eat any of the algae -_- nor will either of my tangs.... But still those fish are awesome :D are they any other great clean up crew members?

I never had any problems with my Sea Hare. I am not sure what type it was. Like I said as a short term option n the overall process it can really be a big help. If you have the crabs in there, I would just leave them they will thin out on their own. Although Ty has given his true feelings about hermit crabs :-)

Royal, Tuxedo, pink and green short spine are all good urchins to help control algae. Additionally do as much manual removal as is practical when doing water changes. I would leave the hermits is you already have them but I would avoid astrea snails. I would not bother changing anything with your filter. I also would not drop your phosphates below .1 mg/l (avg on reefs is .13, Kingman Island, one of the most pristine reefs in the world is .1).

Phosphate and Nitrate buildup is common with trickle filters and wet dry filters. Mechanical filtration is very effective at removing large particles, like uneaten food, before it starts to decompose. These filter types were common between 1980ish and 2000ish. They sort of fell out of favor as new technology rose because you have to keep them really clean. The same goes for filter socks and many people don't use them because they just don't want to keep up with the maintenance. I'm not even sure if they sell Bio Balls anymore. They used to be everywhere.

You may notice a reduction if you clean the media regularly. Since you're already doing regular water changes, I would say that you need an additional nitrate export. GFO reactors, Bio Pellet reactors, turf scrubbers, refugiums, vinegar dosing and vodka dosing are all methods people use to control nitrates beyond water changes. It probably doesn't matter which method you start with, just research them and choose the one that is right for you. Adding a clean up crew may help if the problem is uneaten food or over feeding, but it's unreliable and you'll have to keep adding more as inhabitants die. I'm with Ty though. Crabs are the devil.

• Like 1

One thing that seemed to help me with the hair algae control was shortening the length of time that I ran my lights.

How long do you run your lights each day?

(sorry if someone already discussed this, did not see it in a quick scan of the thread)