Cracked tank rim

Bpb

Posting this for a friend.

He awoke to find the front rim of his 90 gallon rim cracked as shown in the pic. How would one go forward with repairing. Not sure what brand it is, and it was bought used but has been up about a year without issue. Point there is, it's not currently leaking, and manufacturer help isn't an option. Opinions welcome

post-2651-0-77064300-1422888820_thumb.jp

I think you'll be ok. It's there to prevent bowing but the glass should be stout enough that it won't bust on you. Just try to reglue it back together to prevent further cracking. Looks like the brace is still being held together on the left side of crack. Should be ok.

I'm very concerned about the state of the bracing underneath that trim piece. It's possible that the top brace seam has given way underneath the plastic(i.e. separated from the front panel that it's meant to support) and that's why you are seeing the crack in the trim. If so, the front panel may be bowing and could give out in a dramatic fashion. Can you ask your firend to measure the amount of deflection in the center of the tank compared to the ends? If there's bowing in the center I would want to empty that tank immediately and replace or repair it.

As mentioned above it's the center brace that is the concern. If it is still stuck to the trim and the crack does not extend into the brace you "OK" for now but you really need to look at the cross brace carefully front and back to make sure it's connected and providing support. Even if it doesn't have any apparent cracks you might preemptively add an additional support to the cross brace like Mike said. You might also try working SciGrip #40 (you'll have to special order it and tape off the area being glued) or JB weld into the crack to keep it from getting worse.