wtb Flow Control Pinch Valve

reeflover

looking to get 1 or 2 of these valve to replace my needle valve for the calcium drip. my valve keeps getting clogged. what kind of valve you guys use that doesnt get clogged often. lmk before i order on line thanks. 714-722-3326

post-307-0-29570300-1422237953_thumb.jpg

effluent water from CO2 reactors are hyper saturated with alk/ca and precipitate readily on the outlet valve innards. this would not be the case on an influent valve. If a peristaltic pump is not available (best choice IMO) I cant reason why a valve on the outlet side is preferable.

i see it referenced with google-fu that it "improves the flow characteristics" to valve on the outlet, but no detailed explanation as to why that would be the case.

For larger reactors actually, a peristaltic pump is preferred as it is a steady flow and doesn't have the fluctuations a impeller driven model would have.

It would usually depend on the type of CARX you have as well as to which end you want to control flow, inlet or outlet flow.

Korallin CARX are designed to operate with some pressure inside the reactor and are more efficient in that scenario, thereby, they recommend controlling flow on the output. Most other reactors are designed with minimal pressure ratings and would leak profusely if controlled from the outlet side. Those they recommend controlling from the inlet. That wouldn't matter as much if the reactor was run in the sump but run externally, it would be a big problem.

When you think of the peristaltic pumps Victoly is mentioning, he's probably referring to the giant sized ones that we both used for water sampling versus the tiny little ones used for 2-part dosing vietpride.

Victoly,
What peristaltic pump would you recommend?

Most of the pumps on the market are either cole-parmer (masterflex) or rebranded versions of cole-parmer pumps (geopump, etc). Keep an eye on ebay, as they're really expensive new. Check to make sure that the tubing can be converted to whatever size you use for your CaRX, as most peristaltics use fairly expensive, metric sized tubing. Also make sure it's a variable speed and that its designed for continuous use at the fairly low speeds that we use our CaRx's at.

peristaltic pump

You control the flow on these by altering the speed of the motor, not with a valve.