Adding fish gut check

FarmerTy

Ty I'm never sorry that I asked. In my previous post I told you that you'd have better success not QTing the angel and I stick by that. I like your plan with the velvet. However, I don't think you have to sell off your zoas yet. From my research, I have seen a good number of people with angels and zoas successfully. Especially the noxious ones. For the most part, it's the euphellias that you have to worry about.

Your polyps always look great and they're great stock. If you're worried or would rather sell the main colonies, then I would frag each of them, sell the main colony and then create new colonies. That way if the new colony gets eaten then you wouldn't have been at a financial loss. IMO the main risk is in the first three months after introducing a new angel. After that they are pretty predictable. Moorish Idols on the other hand are like live hand grenades. They can turn your tank into a buffet any day without notice.

• Like 1

Will you still plan on adding a little bit of prazipro or some antibiotic to the fish during the acclimation period? Since I don't have room for a QT tank I just medicate the fish for the hour or two that they are acclimating to my tank in their bag. I haven't had any issues with that strategy yet in preventing the introduction of a disease to my tank. Maybe I've just been getting lucky, but so far it seems to work

Naturally when plan B gets set in motion, I catch the dartfish.

Nothing like cornering it in a different place, turning out all the lights, donning my red LED headlamp, and inserting a giant net where his hole of a home is.

He slowly tested the floor and made his way back slowly to his home... aka... my giant net.

I've finally outsmarted a dartfish! Huzzah!

Still not planning to QT the angel. I'll have to think about it a bit tonight but it might be best to just delay the order, run the tank truly fallow for at least 4 weeks, then introduce the angelfish and mandarins, then a few weeks after, the rest of the fish. I just don't know how much longer I can keep avoiding disaster with the fish in the tub for this long. I feel like it's a ticking time bomb and going with my original assumption of a marine velvet free tank despite the dartfish being in there may be the best option.

The only thing he has to loose is a couple hundos for a very debatable item.

Ckyuv I don't disagree with you though.

Even though his screen name is "lazyreeferty" let's not forget the old standby "cheaperty"

• Like 1

Though I considered the option, a good one rated for my size tank is a substantial cost, for something again, is not 100% proven. I'm not talking Coralife or any other consumer brand... I'm talking the heavy duty stuff.

The bottle of peroxide costs $2 and I've read papers on its effectiveness at killing dinospores from marine ich. I'll go with the proven over the non-proven any day. I will say however that I believe UV has merit, I'm just not so sure I'm interested in something that kills everything that passes through it. How will my little baby urchins, clownfish, and mandarin larvae ever have a hope of surviving? [emoji6]

After being called out by Reburn for being lazyreeferTy, I figured I'd go ahead last night and put my left side of the tank aquascape back together after slightly destroying it while removing all the fish.

I was also going to remove the one little aiptasia that came in on a sponge I had bought to try out. As I was putting the sponge in the water a few months back, I saw this awesome pearly-looking anemone on it and since it was so pretty, I decided to leave it in there. Big mistake, it was an aiptasia. Anyways, I was going to just chip off a piece of rock and presto, aiptasia removed. Murphy thought otherwise... I chipped him off alright but the piece somehow tumbled into the bottom of my rock pile never to be seen again.

Not looking to have an aiptasia infestation, I started moving rocks around to find it, basically destroying any semblance of my left side aquascape in the process and breaking a million pieces of screaming green birdsnest and splitting my kryptonite candy cane colony in half. For those that have an aiptasia on a baserock somewhere in their tank, please keep in mind that someone destroyed their aquascaping in a 215-gal tank to remove one aiptasia so moving a couple of pieces of liverock in your tank is really not much to ask in comparison. [emoji12] Kidding aside, the rocks I was moving around easily weighed 20-30 lbs a piece.

Where was I? Oh yeah, sorry for the tangent. So anyways, I destroyed my aquascape removing this one litte aiptasia and finally found him and promptly evicted him. I tried to recreate the same aquascape to no avail. I put together a new one on the left side of the tank but it's an aquascape only a mother could love. [emoji31] I'll work on it again once my fingertips grow back from being rubbed raw from moving those heavy rocks around over and over again.

Eat that for lazyreeferTy Reburn! [emoji13]

• Like 1

Patience is most definitely a virtue in this hobby, but I can understand your anxiety to getting the fish back in the tank. But if this puts your mind at rest at all, Oozarkawater has had all his fish and corals in a tub for MONTHS now and the fish seem to be alive and thriving still. If you want to talk about laziness, Ty isn't the one to be talking about... devil.gif

Still not planning to QT the angel. I'll have to think about it a bit tonight but it might be best to just delay the order, run the tank truly fallow for at least 4 weeks, then introduce the angelfish and mandarins, then a few weeks after, the rest of the fish. I just don't know how much longer I can keep avoiding disaster with the fish in the tub for this long. I feel like it's a ticking time bomb and going with my original assumption of a marine velvet free tank despite the dartfish being in there may be the best option.

• Like 1

Patience is most definitely a virtue in this hobby, but I can understand your anxiety to getting the fish back in the tank. But if this puts your mind at rest at all, Oozarkawater has had all his fish and corals in a tub for MONTHS now and the fish seem to be alive and thriving still. If you want to talk about laziness, Ty isn't the one to be talking about... devil.gif

Anxiety is an understatement! I have over $500 of fish livestock in that tub and having it just sit there with minimal environmental controls is just killing me.

Oozarkawater must have hit another 3 levels of enlightenment over me to be able to leave everything in a tub for that long. At least he hooked up a skimmer to it!