6 Line Wrasse

Manny

Quick question. Why do six line wrasse have such a bad reputation? I see a lot of people on reef central recommending against that fish and lets not even mention how much Mark Callahan hates this fish. Mine is a model citizen and I never see it jump. I got it to help with an AEFW problem I developed after the frag swap. I love this fish though. Makes me want to buy more wrasses but don't want them to fight.

I had a Six line I broke down a tank to get rid of. I've also had a blue damsel who was too mean, and a really mean tomato clown, so it may just be my luck!

Like most things, there are exceptions to every rule. But I'd say with Wrasse and Damsel fishes the issues start getting bad when population is at a max level. Given enough space they are generally OK.

I had one that got nicknamed Damien. It took me 2 weeks of trying everyday with a baited trap door glass trap to finally catch him after starving the tank for 3 days. In a 65 gallon tank it would allow NO new additions and it didn't matter what type of fish I was adding.. Mean is an understatement.

The issue with them is that IF for what ever reason they decide to be teritorial they are essentially the mig 17 of the aquarium world!

They are one of the fastest, agile, aggressive, tactile little fish you might ever see when on attack. They don't carry much heavy artillery (like a tangs rear tooth), but it doesn't matter cuz they dart in and out tearing you to shreds with small arms fire! Some are calm and that's why I decided to try one, They are indeed gorgeous; but the stress of him flying around my tank like it was Vietnam in '68 was too much for my (admitedly) slightly over populated tank. I finally broke the tank down when he killed my tang at the time, all I had left was a maroon clown who was even meanier (the F16!) and a clown gobie I promptly named Hughy for surviving the war.

Cheers!

I have had mine for two months now and have never seen any aggression. You can see on my build thread the aggression from my royal gramma towards it when I first introduced it but that has since then went away. The wrasse does not bother anything or anyone fish. It was also introduced into an established tank with 2 tangs already. That might have helped.

The tangs ( I hope) may be what's different for me. I stocked my old tank from least to most aggressive, and seem to have a lot of fish that were more aggressive than they were suppossed to be. This time I am starting with the two tangs.

I purchased my six line as an addition to try and get my "peaceful" Yellow Candy Hogfish in line who was terrorizing my Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse. I've had other Candy's who were very non aggressive but the current one was extremely territorial as in the entire 75 G tank. Goes to show there are always exceptions to the profiles. Worked for a while until he turned on my Fairy Wrasse and tried diligerntly to kill it. He would ram it over and over until the Fairy gave up and just let Six line hit him over and over. The six line finally got tired and quit. Took the Fairy a while to recover but to my surprise he did. Now the six line just cruises the tank and ignores all other fish. The Hogfish eventually killed the Flasher Wrasse. Current stocking list: 3 Skunk Clowns, 1 Six line Wrasse, 1 Fairy Wrasse, 1 Candy Hog fish, 1 juvenile Yellow Tang. They all seem to get along now I have a peaceful tank.

Plus one on Tangs. Interesting comment on fairy wrasse which I just introduced to my tank thanks to Vu. Had to trap a giant yellow tail damsel who was the tank boss or the fairy would have never come out of hiding....a great trade off IMO. Tank is so Mich more peaceful now.

Plus one on Tangs. Interesting comment on fairy wrasse which I just introduced to my tank thanks to Vu. Had to trap a giant yellow tail damsel who was the tank boss or the fairy would have never come out of hiding....a great trade off IMO. Tank is so Mich more peaceful now.

Just like me. Anytime I try to write much my phone spells Mich. Weird how it's so hard to hit that U key.