Hanna Alk versus Red Sea Pro

jolt

Just got my Hanna Alk kit and also a new Red Sea titration alk kit. Measured my tank twice with both. They were each self-consistent between the two tests. Results:

Hanna: 8.176 dKH (146 * 0.056)

Red Sea: 8.7 dkH

The Hanna instructions say it can be off by +/- 5%, so if it was off on the low side then actual dkH could be as high as 8.58 (8.176 * 1.05) which would put it pretty close to the red sea reading. Red Sea claims +/- 0.14 dkH accuracy, which if it is reading on the high side could put the reading at 8.56 dkH for the red sea kit. Of course with red sea it is really up to my judgement on when the color change kicks in. I think I am at least consistent if not totally accurate on that one. Whenever I run back to back tests I do get the same number.

I guess one approach moving forward would be to use both kits and take the average but that sounds like too much work. Instead, I was thinking to target a reading of something like 9 dkH with the hanna and just try to consistently maintain that, accounting for +/- 5% slop that leaves things in a safe range.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Use one kit only and keep the other as a backup would be my plan. Hypothetically if you're using the Hanna checker exclusively, and you're down to your last packet, take a simultaneous Red Sea reading and just keep it stable. Since they both read in the 8-9 area I wouldn't split hairs over pinpointing which one is actually correct, I'd rather be concerned with the precision and shoot for the same reading with the same test every time. Now....if one read 7.5 dkh and the other read 12.3 dkh, then I'd be concerned.

Edited by Bpb
  • Like 1

Ty and I got together today to compare his Hanna Alk meter with my new red sea pro test kit. We also compared to the Hanna alk calibration kit that he purchased. The ideal reading for that is 100ppm.

It looked like this (hopefully Ty will fill his in).

The Hanna Alk numbers are reported in dKH (0.056 * ppm) while the calibration numbers are in ppm.

The delta is calculated as red_sea - ((hanna_calibration/100)*Hanna_Alk).

In both cases we saw Red Sea reading approximately 0.6dKH higher than what appear to be reasonably calibrated Hanna meters, and we repeated the tests twice to see that we got the same readings consistently.

Hanna Alk Red Sea Alk Hanna Calibration Delta

Jim 8.176 8.7 99 .61 dKH

Ty 106

• Like 1

Ty and I got together today to compare his Hanna Alk meter with my new red sea pro test kit. We also compared to the Hanna alk calibration kit that he purchased. The ideal reading for that is 100ppm.

It looked like this (hopefully Ty will fill his in).

The Hanna Alk numbers are reported in dKH (0.056 * ppm) while the calibration numbers are in ppm.

The delta is calculated as red_sea - ((hanna_calibration/100)*Hanna_Alk).

In both cases we saw Red Sea reading approximately 0.6dKH higher than what appear to be reasonably calibrated Hanna meters, and we repeated the tests twice to see that we got the same readings consistently.

Hanna Alk Red Sea Alk Hanna Calibration Delta

Jim 8.176 8.7 99 0.61 dKH

Ty 9.6 9.5 106 0.67 dKh

Added my data.

we're gonna need some sigma plot analysis and a fancy graph to make this science official....

.6 deviation makes me question the competency of one of reagents used...but not enough to really care to figure it out. I got a new redsea kit last week too and am getting a little variation from the numbers i got from the last batch, using the same exact methods. I chalk it up to poseidons will. Getting a truly accurate result with our relatively inexpensive equipment is a crap shot IMO

As long as your personal testing is consistent though, you may not have legitimate quantitative data, but atleast you have a relative feel of things changing.

for the engineers lurking...

giphy.gif?w=320

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Bluemoon
  • Like 1

At this point I feel confident now in sticking with just the Hanna, with an occasional spot check by Red Sea, expecting about .6 higher Red Sea. Given the range indicated by the two kits I am going to target 8.5 dkH on the Hanna for now. I agree with everyone's advice: one measurement approach and keep dKH steady.

Thanks Ty for your help!

• Like 1

At this point I feel confident now in sticking with just the Hanna, with an occasional spot check by Red Sea, expecting about .6 higher Red Sea. Given the range indicated by the two kits I am going to target 8.5 dkH on the Hanna for now. I agree with everyone's advice: one measurement approach and keep dKH steady.

Thanks Ty for your help!

No problem Jim! Thanks for letting me use your Red Sea kit to doublecheck myself. It's always fun to dive back into the science every once in awhile instead of just taking things for granted.