RODI storage

Bpb

My whole time in the hobby, I've kept my RODI unit in a rubbermade tote and stored it indoors. I haven't ever had it hard plumbed into the water lines in the house, I've just always hooked it up to the garden hose and filled my buckets once every couple weeks, and then putting it away when finished.

Well. These buckets take up a ton of space in the garage, and the wife is sick of seeing what she calls "the meth lab" taking up so much storage space. Not to mention all the gallons I waste when I forget to switch over buckets and they overflow. I need a better system

Questions. So this part of the country gets hot. Real hot. That a given.

Do any of you store your RODI units in a garage or outdoors at all? I know membranes and di resin have optimal operating temperatures, which is why I've never stored my RODI filter outside.

I'm considering mounting it on the wall in the garage and putting a brute can on my work bench with a bulkhead and spigot at the bottom and just having that as my water storage. Tired of always lifting and moving the RODI, and managing 10-5 gallon buckets all the time. Will I damage my membrane and di resin if it's subjected to the 90 degree temps the garage sees in the summer? Or the 30 degree temps we get in the winter sometimes?

I've kept mine in the garage for 4 years now with no issues. I'm no RO/DI system expert, but I think as long as it doesn't freeze, the membrane shouldn't be affected. I do notice that it will be less efficient when colder outside but otherwise, never had an issue. I used to store my RO/DI water in a 25 gallon brute trash can as well and stored it in the garage, full of water, without issue too. I'm sure there may have been some possibly phosphate leaching into the water but not in any concentrations that my system didn't process anyways.

Again, just purely user experience. I never did any research on any of this. How it helps at least.

Thanks Ty and Tim. Just needed one person to verify it's alright. To the garage it goes. Now I wonder if i should mount it close to the outside where the spigot is closer, or if running it 20 feet away closer to the house will reduce the pressure too much coming to the unit. If weather freezes I can bring it inside when wrap the pipes

Edited by Bpb

No problem keeping your RO in the garage. RO membranes do not like drying out so keeping it wet will increase the life of the membrane. Leaving it in the garage is a much better option then disconnecting it and letting the membrane get dry. The water in your holding tank will be obviously hot/cold during different times of the year. I've installed many RO units in garages and hot water heater closets with no problems at all. The temperature of the input water effects the purity of output water. So the first little bit of water it makes will have lower purity but the temperature quickly drops as cold water from the tap moves in.

Don't forget to check TDS between the membrane and DI. Lot's of people don't think about doing that until the DI is exhausted. Just a friendly reminder :)

Good pointers. I know keeping it wet is ideal. I may install a valve on the product and waste lines at the end just to prevent it from siphoning out when not in use. I'm a bit fan of flush kits and use mine religiously. I can't say I've ever NOT used one but it's helped me to have unusually long 0 tds life on my membrane and di resin. If it ain't broke don't fix it. I'll be replacing my membrane and di resin for the first time ever this December