What size pump?

Rconde

So I've finally took the plunge and got a bigger tank... I was wondering what size sump and external pump I should use on a 120 with 2 over overflow/return boxes. I have a return pump but dont know if its big enough for a 120. Thanks

While it's nice to have two for backup purposes (one goes down, you still have one going), I prefer to only run one. It puts less heat into the system and I don't have to worry about replacing two impellers over time. An external pump is nice but they tend to be a little louder (water suprreses some of the noise) but you get the added benefit of less heat in your tank. If you do plan to run an external, you'll have to drill your sump and also plan for some space in the stand for it and associated tubing as well.

Sent via Tapatalk

If it's the version that gets 900 gph, it will work but probably be on the lower end of gph I would run on that tank. It's purely your preference.

You only need the return pump to pump the water up to the tank. Your piping/plumbing in conjuction with your overflow will employ gravity drainage to flow the water back into the sump. Think of it as a roundabout waterfall and probably not as pretty.

Sent via Tapatalk

What looks good to you. Sump/refugiums do not need high turnover rates and only a few times per hour is fine. If you like to see high flow in your tank I would go with quality propeller type power heads to maximize flow with minimal heat. To disagree with Ty, using two pumps does not dramaticly increase wattage and if the cost of two impellers is an issue, well . . . I can't find the current ratings for Rios but two Mag 5s pull only 8 watts more than one Mag 9 and have a combined flow at a preasure head of 5' only 15 gallons less than a Mag 9. Looking at Pan World external pumps two 40PX gives 800 gph at 90 watts and one 100PX gives 790 gph with 120 watts (website I looked at did not give a chart for pressure head so I'm assuming this is for 1 foot) so in this specific case two actually is cooler than one.

What looks good to you. Sump/refugiums do not need high turnover rates and only a few times per hour is fine. If you like to see high flow in your tank I would go with quality propeller type power heads to maximize flow with minimal heat. To disagree with Ty, using two pumps does not dramaticly increase wattage and if the cost of two impellers is an issue, well . . . I can't find the current ratings for Rios but two Mag 5s pull only 8 watts more than one Mag 9 and have a combined flow at a preasure head of 5' only 15 gallons less than a Mag 9. Looking at Pan World external pumps two 40PX gives 800 gph at 90 watts and one 100PX gives 790 gph with 120 watts (website I looked at did not give a chart for pressure head so I'm assuming this is for 1 foot) so in this specific case two actually is cooler than one.

I agree with Tim, the advantages of two pumps is nice to have for backup purposes. I only use one pump as a preference of having to only deal with one piece of equipment and less heat added to the tank (also less plumbing involved). I don't think I mentioned anything about more wattage usage in my previous post but that's nice to know that running two pumps doesn't increase the wattage that much more than one bigger pump.