Anyone has experience using rods to create Aquascape

lenver

So I'm tearing down my 150 Gallon Tall, will be replacing it with a 270, the tank is really tall and I don't want to make big piles of rock to get the height that I want, has anyone purchase some acrylic or other material rods to create your aquascape, wanted to know if there was a local place, and if you have pics of your setup.

I want to be able to use the height so I can create a very nice aquascape.

I was also thinking of creating some PVC for my eel, but after thinking about it I'm afraid that if when it dies I will have to tear down the whole thing just to get it out, does anyone know where I could buy one of those terracotta looking or similar base for it to get into, without it leaching anything into the tank.

I'm using pvc to hold my rock towers together. You can even tap the bigger pvc pipes to screw a smaller diameter pipe into, to create a branch. It's been easy and made a really solid structure. I know others use acrylic rods and I'm pretty sure I've heard of someone using plastic hangers.

About the eel, maybe you can find a rock with a tunnel? That's what mine lives in, and he stays with that tunnel no matter where I place the rock, so far. I'm making sure to place it up front in the new tank so we can watch him and also keep it accessible.

(Kim didn't mention she has videos in the Video section on the home page and her build thread.) I've used acrylic rod form local plastics supply places, 1/2" CPVC and PEX (x-linked polyetheline) from home improvement stores and schedule 80 1/4" grey PVC you can get online. PEX is very flexable and cannot be glued like CPVC or PVC. The grey schd 80 is the most rigid and you can get grey 1/4" PVC from FlexPVC.com, one of our sponsers.

Home improvement stores usually carry street markers in the "signs" area that are a fiberglass rod with a round reflector on one end. The reflector is easy to cut off and the rod can be glued with epoxys (be sure to rough up the section being glued with sandpaper).

For your eel if you have a soft piece of limestone and are patient and careful you can use a hole saw and make pretty elaborate and surprising large holes. But be aware some limestone has large amount of quartz or calcite which is very hard and time consuming to drill.

• Like 1

Thanks for the help, on the eel I still think I need something like a vase for a solution, is a 5 foot zebra, kinda hard to make a rock good enough for it.

Oh wow, yeah that's a big eel! Mine's only a foot long, maybe.

Like I said, "patience" laugh.png Zebra eels are so cool! I got one a little over 3'. You could do something with aragonite but it would probably end up being pretty heavy. I don't know if you've ever worked with fiberglass before but that seems like the lightest way to go to make something big enough for your eel. Maybe spray foam mixed with gravel but this is just a guess.

I make those all the time. I build tanks sumps and fake rock, and i do custom carpentry and electrical i went to the trade school at Everest and i am licenced also. I use clay mold it then add texture and a kiln to harden if you ever need help give me a call at (713) 515 9136

I make those all the time. I build tanks sumps and fake rock, and I do custom carpentry and electrical I went to the trade school at Everest and I am licensed also. I use clay mold it then add texture and a kiln to harden if you ever need help give me a call at (713) 515 9136