Lighting acclimation

jestep

I switched lighting fixtures a few weeks ago and am having a hard time with bleaching. Went from 500W of MH + another 30W or so of blue LED's to 3 AI SOL blue fixtures. I initially had them at 25% max but many of my SPS started lightening too quickly so have backed down to 15% max.

I figure I'll keep them at 15% which will hopefully prevent them from fully bleaching, and then work up to 40% over the next few months.

Has anyone switched from MH to this or a similar fixture? I just can't believe I'm bleaching when coming from an already very high powered fixture.

It's also a change in spectrum. Either way, alot of people never even make it to 100% on SOLs from what I understand. Keep it dialed back for a week or two, then add 10% per week until they show any signs of stress.

I used a PAR meter to at least get close to the same intensity (lux meters will work for this also). Like Juiceman pointed out the differences in spectrum is also a factor. Best you can do is compare spectrum charts from the manufacterers for specific bulbs or fixtures in question.

Yeah, thought about borrowing a PAR meter but figured 25% would be fine. Definitely don't expect to get anywhere near 100% with this. Just in messing around with it 60% is unbelievably bright, but if I even got up to that much I don't know how I'd ever add a new coral to the tank without scorching it.

When I switched to LEDs I also moved the coral deeper in the tank and moved them up about an inch a week. Or I would not move them up one week and increase intensity by 5% that week. I did this until I got them where I wanted and then slowly increased intensity each week or so. I'm currently maxed out at 70% (just increased it last week) and haven't noticed any adverse effects so that's going to be my max. Hope this helps.

When I switched to LEDs I also moved the coral deeper in the tank and moved them up about an inch a week. Or I would not move them up one week and increase intensity by 5% that week. I did this until I got them where I wanted and then slowly increased intensity each week or so. I'm currently maxed out at 70% (just increased it last week) and haven't noticed any adverse effects so that's going to be my max. Hope this helps.

There's a few coral I'm moving lower. None are totally bleached yet, but it's clear that they will be without intervention. Hoping everything pulls through.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the coral are recovering. Doesn't look like there will be any loses. Going to start increasing the intensity extremely slowly in another week or two. Even at 15% max which seems quite dim when looking at the tank, there's still noticeable growth and the LPS are more inflated than when the MH was going.