What're Your Parameters?

Makena95GT

Just curious as to what everyone elses parameters are. You can be as simple as salinity and temp.. or super in depth. Be nice if you could include size of tank.. in general what you keep.. and maybe even lighting.

I just think it would be neat to kinda compile everyones setups and give others an idea of how others keep their tanks (depending on what you keep)

I dont really have much in terms of test kits. But I know for a fact my tank is mini cycling.

Salinity - 1.025

Temp - 77.5

Salinity - 1.025
Temp - 80-82.7 F
Ca - 420ppm
Alk -8.0 dKh
Mg - 1450 ppm
PO4 - 0.03-0.05 ppm
NO3 - ~10 ppm but normally <5 ppm
I2 - 0.6-0.9 ppm
pH - 7.86-8.05

Mainly SPS-dominant but also keep a healthy collection of zoas and a few LPS. Fish population on the higher side.

Run oversized skimmer, GFO, biopellets, and refugium with tons of live rock in sump. Use Calcium Reactor for supplementation and no water changes. Dose aminos 2x a week.

• Like 1

CURRENTLY...

55 gallon SPS dominant but I've got a bit of everything except NPS, T5HO lighting (MH switch coming with tank upgrade)

Salinity: 1.026

Temp: 80.0-80.5

Ph: 7.75-8.25

Ca: 420 ppm

Alk: 8.4dKH

Mg: 1250 ppm

PO4: 0.00-0.04 ppm

Skimmer, bio pellets, gfo, carbon, lots of rock and flow. 2 part dosing for Ca/Alk supplementing. 10% once a month water change (really for trace elements only)

• 1 month later...

nice natural parameters timfish. any updated videos?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one in October '12:

The house this tank was in was sold in February '13 and the new owners had another maintenance company remove it.

78 - 79 degrees.

1.026 sg last I checked.

Haven't tested anything else nor done a water change in about 3 months, so have no idea right now. PO4 and NO3 are definitely very low. I can usually tell if either is up. High PO4 = cyano and high NO3 = film or hair algae.

Salinity 1.026

Temp 77 - 79 F

Ca 450ppm

Alk 9.1 dKh

Mg 1500 ppm

PO4 0.01-0.04 ppm

NO3 <5 ppm

pH 8.1 - 8.2

Hard Corals 50/50 split on SPS / LPS

See signiture line for tank specefications

Edited by Neon Reefer

From this system, PO4 was May '12. The system was set up with a 50 gallon mud refugium and I tested phosphates randomly. PO4 stayed around .1 mg/l for most of the time but started to climb in the fourth year. I should note the mud never had a partial changeout as is reccomended and also there was no skimmer used on theis system. PH range is from various dates and times and this I test for more frequently than alk, what I look for is long term downward trends. Temperature was seasonal, the highest noted temperature was the summer of '10 and the lowest was the winter of 2011. Nitrates and alkalinity were tested at various times but were not noteworthy. Unless alkalinity is outside of 7-9 dKH I'll disregard it so there was never a time I tested it and felt like I needed to monitor it more closely. As Nitrates are typically undetectable in my systems it's notable whenever I actually have it show up on the occasions I test for it but I won't do anything about it unless it's up around 10 or 20 ppm. Calcium was tested also but with both a kalkwasser and calcium reactors it was never an issue.