55gal Seahorse build

jake112005

Had an empty 55gal sitting around, and my fiance has always wanted a seahorse setup since I got into the saltwater hobby. I've got the live sand bed in, some dead rock, the water in, and the pumps running to get it cycled. I'm no expert on seahorses, so all helpful information I can get would be very welcomed. I've got an eheim canister filter with live rock rubble and a koralia 2 power head that I am using for water circulation. I will add a protein skimmer when the time is right, and of course a heater is in there. I will be doing this sumpless. Let me know what you think and any advice that you can throw my way. Thanks!

Jake

ura8yjup.jpg

azyruqa7.jpg

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

post-3613-140106206389_thumb.jpg

Looking good so far! I would consider ditching the heater. Seahorses like colder water, so unless you're getting colder than 68* you won't need it. I bet you're going to have more trouble keeping the tank cool enough than warm enough. If you decide to keep it in there, you'll want to cover it with something so the seahorses can't hitch to it and burn themselves. There's this stuff at crafting stores that's plastic mesh and you can make a cage of sorts to go around the heater.

Do you have any other plans for the tank? Are you thinking of adding macros and setting up a lagoon type tank, or more of the typical mixed reef look?

Ok, sounds like I will just ditch the heater. We are leaning towards more of the lagoon look with macros. We are even throwing around the idea of having an abandoned wild west ghost town theme if we can find small wester buildings that would be aquarium safe. I mean after all they are "horses".

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I lost every seahorse I tried to keep until I invested in a chiller. The temperature is set to 70 degrees. This keeps the potential for bacterial infections much lower. Go to seahorse.org for excellent information and resources. I highly recommend you set yourself up with a username and join the discussions. seahorsesource.com is a great company to purchase tank breed seahorses. The owners are very knowledgeable and very active on the seahorse.org forum.

Good Luck!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...