Calcium reactor

Bpb

So I've been toying with the idea of putting together a calcium reactor over the coming months. Doing some preliminary research and it's definitely not as hotly debated as, say, lighting modalities, or skimmers are. People don't seem to be as big of brand loyalists either.

I just purchased a 5lb co2 canister, single stage Milwaukee regulator with solenoid, and some planted tank accessories. I had intended on using this to supplement co2 in my planted tank, but since I broke the seal on co2 purchasing, I'm really thinking calcium reactor instead of two part. On my 55 gallon I'm using bout a gallon per month of each two part solution, and as I'm doubling my water volume, I assume my dosing demand will double soon as well. I can see how this rapidly becomes cumbersome.

Couple questions. Are co2 regulators as hot of a topic for calcium reactors as they are for planted tanks? These planted tank folks are pretty serious about them, and it's not uncommon to see high tech diy dual stage reactors, or giant prefab units coating into the $500 range. I don't see it discussed so heavily in the reef world. Is co2 dump common of single stage regulators not as big of a deal since effluent can be controlled through a ph controller? Or am I way off mark? Did I just buy a useless regulator?

Also, how long would a 5lb canister last for a calcium reactor on a 90 gallon disp, 40 gallon sump, early on with moderate demands? I can handle refilling every couple months, but if it becomes a monthly ordeal I'll get a bigger tank. They've got tremendous resale value. Especially freshly polished ones like mine.

And most importantly. I don't want to know what people recommend brand wise. Everyone's got a favorite. I want to know the ones to AVOID! Which calcium reactors should I avoid touching with a 10 foot pole and never let into my home? Good recommendations welcome also.

As far as brand, I haven't had a bad experience with any so I can't tell you what to avoid but I like my Korallin CaRX and it comes with great user experiences to back it up. Geo is also a well reviewed brand and I believe ol' aggie is selling one.

Don't know much about one stage versus two stage regulators but in the sage words of Taylor Swift... two is better than one. I would imagine like you mentioned, keeps it more in control and eliminates the large dumping of CO2 but my Apex minimizes any of those shenanigans so I don't worry about it too much.

You've seen my old 125 gallon tank so you have a sort of reference for stocking level and I used to get about 6 months of use from the 5 lb cylinder. Granted, I was maxing out my CaRX and setting my effluent down to 6.30 pH (recommended 6.75) so your tank may last longer. Hope the information helps bud.

Helps a lot actually. Are you using a dual stage reg? Reefs use sooooo much less co2 than planted tanks. Talking to some of my planted tank friends and they're saying they just open their needle valves all the way until the drop checker shows the right color, and that is usually a fast enough stream trough the bubble counte that you cannot even hope to possibly count them. Vs 10-15 bpm which I'm reading a calcium reactor will call for

When I started my reactor I used a 5lb canister that was left over from my planted freshwater tank days which had a little CO2 left in it. Its been 10 months at a pH of about 6.5 and barely any of the CO2 has been used for my 335 water volume. So I don't imagine you'll be refilling yours up a lot.