BPB'S 90 GALLON SPS DOMINANT

Bpb

• 3 weeks later...

3f7b29e7a5dc1a463709798deaab6271.jpg

Right after I got the anemone it crawled behind the rocks and hid for several days in the dark. Not to worry though I'm more than familiar with how bubble tips behave. It finally has come out and found a comfortable spot (for now). Love these colors. My tank is severely lacking in reds/oranges and warm colors in general. This guy helps a lot. Hoping it stays bubbled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Don't know if you've posted about it, or I may be super late, but that red Algae on your rocks...... what's up with that?

Red turf algae, I have the same thing. I enjoy it actually and leave it be. I knocked it out with the turbo snails you suggested but then the rocks looked so bare that I let it grow back out. The tangs graze on it and there's always pods running around in it. It's like coralline but without the Ca/alk uptake that I hate about coralline. Instead, it uptakes nitrates and phosphates... even better.

Ehh, that's what I was gonna suggest. When I had it in my 90 way back when, turbo snails knocked it out. I didn't like it but that's me.

I've give you an introductory patch if you want back into the red turf algae club? [emoji6]

Spot on. I generally feel the same way about it. It doesn't bother me that much but sometimes people see it and kind of give me the "eww you have algae" type reaction but that doesn't bother me. I do have one complaint about it. It makes gluing things to the rock very very difficult. If the algae layer is thick enough, the glue and epoxy will stick to the algae, and some weeks later after the algae has died, the new frag or plug base will often fall off the rocks before it's had a chance to encrust, since it never stuck to the rock, instead it stuck to a layer of algae

Spot on. I generally feel the same way about it. It doesn't bother me that much but sometimes people see it and kind of give me the "eww you have algae" type reaction but that doesn't bother me. I do have one complaint about it. It makes gluing things to the rock very very difficult. If the algae layer is thick enough, the glue and epoxy will stick to the algae, and some weeks later after the algae has died, the new frag or plug base will often fall off the rocks before it's had a chance to encrust, since it never stuck to the rock, instead it stuck to a layer of algae

That's funny. That's my big problem with it too. Just stick an urchin on top of eat and let it eat you a clearing in the algae for the new frag.

If anybody gives me an ewww... algae look... I'll tell them they are focusing on the wrong parts of the tank.

I haven't seen it in person but I think it looks sweet in your pic and in Ty's video. I wouldn't add it to my tank intentionally but if it snuck in there I wouldn't be super upset either lol. Obviously algae is Gona grow and it looks cooler than gha or the brown stuff

Agree entirely ckyuv. Having battled cladophora, valonia, green hair, cyano, and. dinoflagellates, I can say that the red turf is welcome in my tank any time if it means that it is the dominant species and keeps the others from growing. As corals encrust naturally they manage to kill it. It fluoresces BRIGHT orange as it is dying, so if I vinegar dip my powerheads and put them back in after a scrubbing, the remnant strands are bright orange. And as corals encrust there is a bright fluorescent orange ring of dying algae at the edge of the coral as it encrusts. Kinda cool. The second downside to it though is( at least I can't seem to) it cannot really be manually scrubbed. It is very rigid and course and roots very strong so I'm not able to scrub it away manually. The urchin seems to be able to mow it down and expose white rock underneath, which is regrown over in a couple weeks, as the urchin moves slower than Christmas and couldn't possibly rid the tank all on its own

I'll probably pick up a few turbos here next week. Been meaning to. Not because i want it all gone, but just to kind of put a dent in it without running a ton of gfo. I am hesitant though...eliminating one dominant species nearly always results in paving the way for another. No other algae in my experience has been so forgiving...however, I do have a foxface and they're about as good as it gets as far as algae eaters go

• 2 weeks later...

Well turbos don't seem too interested in my red turf lol. Oh well. Snails are always welcome anyway.

I'm approaching the 2 month mark with the LEDs. Here's a FTS

ff5ce2fc00dc4a14bbdb362b0f0573c7.jpg

• Like 2

I've been really struggling to settle on operating percentages. Seen some really spectacular tanks on reef central lately using the same lights but at WAY lower percentages than I've been running. If I can get away with less power, cooler temps, and longer life I am game for that. I had worked my way up to 75% BML strip, 75% blue channel, 75% white/color. Aiming for 100% all channels, but if running that high of percentages isn't going to reap any benefits and only reduce led life, no point so I've backed down and holding at 50% BML, 60% blue, 50% white/color. I'll try to hold there. It looks ok I just like the look of the tank when it's brighter. This pic is NOT at that. This pic is 100% white 50% blue 50% BML

It is rather spooky. Looks like a fog machine in there. Just did some major refugium adjustment today which made a horrible mess. Pulled all the rocks, netted out all the macro, scraped off all the slime/cyano. Kept a golf ball size piece of chaeto and tossed several double handfuls of tangled smelly slimy cyano/Caulerpa/chaeto/halimeda mess. Siphoned out most the water. Let it settle. Put in 12# bucket of Walt Smith Fiji mud, replaced the rocks and put the water back in. Have a massive pod culture coming my way Thursday, as well as some nice Tampa bay rock.

• Like 1

27e0b16db4e7834324b6747f9a0be8aa.jpg

7c7c36074146c4436b93d49a04f4204f.jpg

Crystal clear today. That's the old old rock in the fuge. This rock has made its way along with me since my first tank 3 years ago. There was an alarming number of frag plugs in the fuge from old dead things I tossed in. I should fish those back out and use them. Awaiting Tampa bay rock shipment to fill the rest of the fuge. Need to keep some room for a chaeto wad, so I may relocate the old rock over to the skimmer and return chambers

How much are you putting in the fuge? I have thought about the same but Dans experience with the isopods kind of scared me.[emoji33]

I do think it is a great way to start a new tank or add biodiversity to an existing one. I also like how he will send those awesome sponges and gorgonians.

The Isopods are worrisome. For sure. I'm going with 10 pounds which should be perfect. Since its in the fuge I can watch it real close. Plus. While I know things can migrate from fuge to display, don't Isopods typically follow the scent of food. Like a shark almost. By that logic they ought to not travel toward the return pump. Maybe flawed logic but I'll be putting an isopod trap in the fuge tegardless

• Like 1

That sounds reasonable. I have thought the same thing about migration from the sump but also wonder about any unwanted pests or algeas. I would love to throw 50 lbs in my sump because I believe it is very helpful in starting a new tank. Did you get any of the sand?

Yeah as far as other pests like aiptasia or mantis shrimps, I am not too concerned about. Aiptasia is super easy to get rid of/manage and if I find a mantis or gorilla crabs, they can stay in the sump I don't mind. Honestly the Isopods are the only concern. I will take a small bit of sand for the micro fauna just to add to the fuge substrate. What it is, is a local new hobbyist is setting up a tank and ordered the Tampa bay package + extra rock so we are splitting shipping and I'm picking out 10'pounds of rock and will take a scoop of the sand.

• Like 1