New To Reef Tank

Joel Tamez

You could do a single 250W Mh pendant and get a blue LED strip later on. Definitely enough light for the whole tank and as fast as LED's are being adopted, MH are dirt cheap.

I have two 150w MH with Phoenix bulbs I can sell you cheap if your interested pm me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With the Kessil A360W-E LED, would 1 work or would I need 2? I was also looking at the 36' 14k medium intensity LED from Build My LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel one A360W-E would be enough to start with, easy enough to add another down the line.

If you're just starting, spend as little as you can and see if you like keeping a reef tank.

More than likely after you've figured everything out, you'll be setting up a new tank wink.png

My little 55 is still running on Chinese LED fixtures I picked up for $90 a fixture. Growing SPS very well! One little frag grew from a 1" piece with two branches, to 6-7" with 6 branches in about 18 months.

BTW: BML was going to be a lot more than even 4-5 Kessils on my tank. Just saying...

If I went led id go with kessil or bml. The bml produced much more heat than my kessils and no shimmer. Lighting is all preference. I currently have a 36" wide tank also and I have 2 kessils on top and one for the refugium. With one kessil I found that the corners were not lit up too much so I added a 2nd for spread. When I was looking at prices the bml site suggested 4 lights for my tank which cost more than 2 kessils and didn't look near as sleek. The bml has more color options tho if you want to add more colors

If I went led id go with kessil or bml. The bml produced much more heat than my kessils and no shimmer. Lighting is all preference. I currently have a 36" wide tank also and I have 2 kessils on top and one for the refugium. With one kessil I found that the corners were not lot up too much.

I've noticed with three Kessils at 11" off of the water, when the heaters kick off at 79 degrees, the temp will rise to 79.1 then start dropping again over time.

So I guess they're adding .1 degrees to the tank?

Then again, temps being measured in the sump, so not sure if it's cooled down a bit, but I doubt it...

If I went led id go with kessil or bml. The bml produced much more heat than my kessils and no shimmer. Lighting is all preference. I currently have a 36" wide tank also and I have 2 kessils on top and one for the refugium. With one kessil I found that the corners were not lit up too much so I added a 2nd for spread. When I was looking at prices the bml site suggested 4 lights for my tank which cost more than 2 kessils and didn't look near as sleek. The bml has more color options tho if you want to add more colors

I get shimmer with BML. I have a 4' & 2' over my 75G DT. It is a 12K Reef Spectrum with 90 degree optics.

Patrick