New To Reef Tank

Joel Tamez

I just got a 40 gallon breeder, and going to set it up as reef tank. I am having some trouble deciding on the proper lighting system. I'm wanting a system that support a wide verity of corals. If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are many lighting systems that will do the trick to support corals. LED's are the newest and lot of folks have started using these for their tanks. They don't produce a lot of heat, and consume less energy. There are a lot of companies that produce good fixtures. Then there is T5 which is also a great choice for lighting a reef tank, and gives you multiple color options as you can mix and match bulb combinations to get exactly the color you want. However you have to replace bulbs with T5 about every year or so. Then there is metal halide, less folks are using this type of lighting now, but it is still a great choice for a reef tank. You can always use a combo of the different types of lighting as well. Like say mh and led, or led and T5.

It really boils down to personal preference, look at tanks in the lfs and see what they are running to see what you like. There are pros and cons to each type of lighting but each is a great choice for a reef tank.

Joel,

Welcome to ARC. As a general rule, until you get into high intensity SPS production & frag tanks for profit, less is better. I recently set up four 40G breeders. Two have T5 and two have DIY LED with royal blue and cool white diodes. In each case one tank has twice the intensity of the other. In this set up, the lower intensity T5 and LED are out performing the other similar illuminated tank. Go figure.

For your 40G breeder, I recommend you get a 3' Build My LED fixture. On their website, they recommend 1' of led for each 10G of water. I find this too intense for my needs. I use a 4' fixture over a 55G tank and am very satisfied with the results. I like there 12K Reef Spectrum and have three of them over different theme tanks. Specify the widest angle optics and place the streamline fixture in the middle of the tank. For a little more control, purchase their mounting kit, move the fixture slightly forward of center and tilt the fixture toward back of tank.

What is your previous experience with marine ornamental tanks?

Patrick

It's going to be limited in what coral you can grow. The led's are very low quality which is why there's 100 - 150 on a 36" fixture and the wattage is 23 - 36. You would probably be fine with soft coral, zoas, etc. I wouldn't expect any spectacular growth out of them though.

If you compare it to a 36" build my LED fixture which is 48W and uses ~45 very high quality cree LED's there's going to be no comparison in output. Clearly there's a large price difference though.

Are you looking for a budget system?

Welcome to ARC, great forum and great people.

I am using 3 BuildMyLED (BML) lights on my 180 and I am very happy. I use a 12K, 14K and Super Actinic. The tank is 6ft but I use 48" lights, they have a nice spread that reach the ends of the tank. The nice thing about BML is that they are about to release a multi channel light so you can get some really good configurations now. Check out their website, watch the videos and use the tool sthey have to figure what you would need. Then give them a call they are great about giving advice and their build time is quick. Some of our local stores carry them as well.

Welcome to the club! I would argue going for LEDs myself and am partial to BuildMyLED.com as they have a good dimmable design that doesn't need fans. (If they are place in a closed hood the hood will need ventilation.) From what I've seen with my own DIY and commercial designs fans are a big weakness and if you get a fixture that utilizes fans I would suggest getting spare fans ahead of time (it's usually not to difficult to replace them). You definitely want to research your corals and lighting options as much as possible before hand, go around and look at various systems and make note of what you like. Some corals are very adaptable, some are not, and many have color shifts influenced by intensity and/or spectrum. Many LED fixtures allow for changing the spectrum and initially this may be a good thing but once you start growing corals be aware if you start changing the spectrum you may have issues with corals that have already adapted to the existing spectrum and are producing fluorescing and chromo proteins in response to it.

Hi Joel, welcome to the club. You are getting some great input and advice here for lighting. As I always suggest, you can run through lighting choices all day long until your eyes get crossed-eyed but seeing a tank, which has the look you want, and the corals you want, and see what lighting they run is the best option if you can apply it. That way you know what end result you can get with the lighting you buy and you are happy with it.

Welcome Joel! If I lived in or around Austin I would have you over to see my 4' Reefbreeders Photon LED fixture. I've been very happy with it so far. I moved from MH to LED to reduce heat since my tank is built in. I'm sure there's plenty of folks that wouldn't mind showing off their tanks to give you some ideas:)

welcome. i'm not going to get into the lighting discussion (i'm too ignorant on the subject). but i'd like to suggest going through the tank build threads here and see what other's have done. also, if you look at the FTS (full tank shot) thread you can get a lot of great ideas on what you like as far as aquascaping goes and the look you want. sometimes you can find the build thread that matches the tank(s) you like. one thing i learned in this process...the "like" button does not let you go back and find the posts you like, it tells the poster that you are pleased. so, you'll need to note them yourself if you want to go back and look later.

I vote Kessil A360W-E LEDs.

Small foot print, so easy to work on the tank. Pretty big spread too. Can also use the Apex to ramp up and down color and intensity during the day, add "clouds" to randomly dim during the day, etc...

Here are 3 A360W-E Fixtures on my 120x29x31" tank. Will add one more down the line when a good amount of coral is in the tank.

Looked at Build My LED, but felt I'd need way too many fixtures, and it would suck to move them all the time to get in the tank.

post-2170-0-14250300-1396552235_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I vote Kessil A360W-E LEDs.Small foot print, so easy to work on the tank. Pretty big spread too. Can also use the Apex to ramp up and down color and intensity during the day, add "clouds" to randomly dim during the day, etc...Here are 3 A360W-E Fixtures on my 120x29x31" tank. Will add one more down the line when a good amount of coral is in the tank.Looked at Build My LED, but felt I'd need way too many fixtures, and it would suck to move them all the time to get in the tank.

How much did those three Kessils cost?

How much did those three Kessils cost?

I paid a little less than retail, I'll PM you the price smile.png

Here's a video (Most of the noise is from the HOB Skimmer and Filter on a close QT tank):

I appreciate you using video. I'm surprised more people on the club don't! Most have smartphones these days capable of HD video and we barely even get photos on this board. That's my official whine to have more videos on this board! Forget FTS, give me a 1:00 video of your tank! Don't forget the cheesy background music... okay, enough of a thread hijacking.

I appreciate you using video. I'm surprised more people on the club don't! Most have smartphones these days capable of HD video and we barely even get photos on this board. That's my official whine to have more videos on this board! Forget FTS, give me a 1:00 video of your tank! Don't forget the cheesy background music... okay, enough of a thread hijacking.

LOL yeah... just on an old Galaxy S3. So ready for the LG G3 to come out... 2k screen, 4k recording... also ready to for upgrades too smile.png