Fish stuck on powerhead

KimP

When I got home today, I found my tassled filefish stuck to my bigger powerhead :( I right away turned it off and saw the fish is still alive. His eye is pretty torn up but otherwise seems to be in one piece. Big bummer, he's my favorite fish.

Is there anything I else I can do for him? Has anyone had this happen and the fish lived? I'm thinking a healthy fish wouldn't have gotten stuck in the first place, so maybe he's sick. He'd been eating like a pig so I hadn't suspected a problem.

I've lost a few fish to vortechs (Part of why I won't use them anymore). A few appeared to recover but I lost them a few weeks later despite their apparent recovery. One did not survive more than about a day.

Was this a vortech issue? Using the filter screens fixes the problem, but otherwise I consider those pumps death traps on any power over about 50%.

My small hippo tang got stuck on the power head and I panicked as well luckily it happened right as I was staring into the tank. There didn't appear to be any serious damage and he survived. It wasn't the first time it happened either. Seems like he stays away from them for the most part though.

It was on a tunze turned up pretty far. This is what he looks like.

Bad side

junuty6u.jpg

Good side

5aqanedy.jpg

Any ideas on something I can do to help? Should I just leave him alone? I have the powerhead off since he mostly hangs out near it, and I turned off the kessil above him since he's hanging out near the surface right under it. I'll try to feed him mysis later.

I've lost a few fish to vortechs (Part of why I won't use them anymore). A few appeared to recover but I lost them a few weeks later despite their apparent recovery. One did not survive more than about a day.

Was this a vortech issue? Using the filter screens fixes the problem, but otherwise I consider those pumps death traps on any power over about 50%.

What pumps do you use instead?

Keep the lights turned down, soak his food in garlic to encourage a strong immune system, and put sponge covers on all powerheads. If there is one near where he hangs out, move it. Filefish in general are not the strongest swimmers out there, he probably just got too close and got sucked in. Keep a close watch that his tankmates don't start picking on him, particularly shrimp. If he's not mortally wounded he will heal pretty fast. Fish have amazing regenerative properties.

Keep the lights turned down, soak his food in garlic to encourage a strong immune system, and put sponge covers on all powerheads. If there is one near where he hangs out, move it. Filefish in general are not the strongest swimmers out there, he probably just got too close and got sucked in. Keep a close watch that his tankmates don't start picking on him, particularly shrimp. If he's not mortally wounded he will heal pretty fast. Fish have amazing regenerative properties.

Okay, thanks. I sure hope he recovers. About soaking his food, can I put the frozen mysis in garlic while it melts? I've never used garlic with fish food before. I'll look up covering a tunze with foam. He definitely likes to hang out around that powerhead.

I use garlic extreme from Kent, it's a garlic extract you just drop onto the thawed food and let it sit for about 15 minutes. I know some folks use plain crushed garlic, but I've never seen the feeding response from the plain garlic that I see with the Garlic Extreme.

Be aware, your house is going to smell like an Italian restaurant.

What pumps do you use instead?

Funny enough I'm just using one of the jebao WP40's now which would be about the same as your tunze.

I haven't had problems with the WP40 but in observing the MP40, it happened on a wave mode, when it ramps up from 0 to full power. I would assume that a tunze or jebao on a wave mode could create a similarly strong suction.

I had it just on one speed all the time. I'm really thinking this happened because he was weak and already dying. That's my gut feeling anyway even though he'd been eating and acting fine. I came home today and he's down near the sand like it won't be long at all till he dies. Such a bummer! Thanks for all the advice though, I learned a few things.